View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 12,202, Level: 16 Points: 12,202, Level: 16 Points: 12,202, Level: 16

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 11:08 PM

Well, I am Christian and am definitely going to raise my kids as Christians. I am going to teach them to follow Jesus. I am also going to teach them ABOUT other religions just so they can be aware of other things in the world and aren't nieve. However, I don't know if I would really want them having a whole class about God in public school.....because I'd be afraid that the school wouldn't teach it in-depth or would teach it in a way that would just confuse my kids or turn them away from God because the messages are boring or don't make sense. Plus, I don't really like the idea of them learning about Jesus in order to get a grade in school- I want learning about Jesus in order to grow closer to Him, not to get a grade in school or because they have to.

I do want my kids to go to a school where God is incorporated into every class (meaning they will not teach anything that is against the bible like evolution, the teachers are Christians and can freely mention God's name, and everyone including teachers are allowed to pray). I wouldn't even think about sending them to a school if it didn't have that. My kids are going to Christian school for sure. I just don't really know if I want them to have an actual Christian class. They will be learning about God at home and church, they don't really need an actual class for that at school too. I want a school that is about God, but not nessicarily an actual bible class.

But if you mean a "world religions" type class where they learn about ALL religions and not just their own......that'd be fine with me once my kids are older (high school) if they want to take that. I am actually taking a World Religions class this year. It's good to know about other religions. If you are going to evangelise, you are going to get asked a LOT of questions about false religions and why they are wrong......so taking a class like that would help in that area a lot. I don't want my kids to be clueless, I do want them to know what is going on in the world with other people.