View Single Post
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: Children learning about religion - January 21st 2011, 08:36 PM

I went to a Catholic primary school and I'm an Atheist. I don't think sending a kid to a religious school really indoctrinates them. I was taught it as fact day in day out, daily prayers and weekly church visits and RE classes. It didn't make a difference because at home my mother, while technically Catholic and believed in God, was fairly indifferent to Catholicism. We never really talked about it and I didn't go to Church (outside of school).

If you teach your kids from an early age that God or Gods exist then until atleast a later age they will believe everything. I don't think school makes a difference.

In year six we got a choice whether we wanted to go through with comfirmation or not and I opted not too, so my disbelief in God isn't something I figured out later in life.

Personally though I am opposed to religion being taught in public schools as fact but I would encourage them to teach about different religions (as theories).

As for religious schools, I am not opposed to them.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy