View Single Post
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Children learning about religion - January 22nd 2011, 03:59 AM

One religion I think would be interesting to have taught, and I may be biased on this, is Satanism, both theistic and atheistic sects. Many people shun this belief but not many seem to actually know much about it at all. Even if someone says they're a Setian (and probably explains what it is), they'll likely get condemned as a "devil worshiper" which is nonsense as it's not regarding Christianity or the other Abrahamic religions. Problem though with this would be enormous complaints from parents. I would teach my kid about Satanism, introduce them to the various texts, possibly churches (if I join one), etc... .

I'd be unsure if my kids were to learn about religions in school (private or public) because it's not going to be a representative view of all the religions, which is understandable. That means certain ones will be picked out and emphasized on according to what the school cirriculum and school board say. As long as one of the religions that is taught isn't emphasized more than the others that are taught, I'm less hesitant with it then. The other factors are whether this course(s) will be optional and at what grade would it be taught at.

I do think the kids should know of some of the dominant religions because they affect the world drastically but I also wouldn't want them to accept the religion according to what was taught without using their intelligence first to look at the opposing sides. Whether Intelligent Design or Creationism is taught, I don't really care but I suppose it would be if certain religions were taught. I wouldn't want it though to try to refute biological evolution because they're on two different levels as to the questions they answer, the paradigms they use and how the information is acquired.

I'm uncertain though if I'd like it as an optional class or a required class. I suppose it could become an optional one at higher grades but it's still something I'm conflicted about. My concerns are more of what is taught in it though. Once it gets to the point of saying one religion is the truth, non-believers in the class get condemned and so forth, that's something which could provoke interesting discussions but would have to be at a higher grade level for the students to have developed the higher reasoning.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)