View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 17th 2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post

I believe he would have to be taken back to France to be tried, but I could be wrong. I thought I heard something similar to this but I don't know how true it is.
The jurisdiction of a court over an offence is determined by where the offence took place, not the nationality of the claimed offender. In this instance, as the offence took place in the Manhattan district of New York the case falls within the jurisdiction of the Manhattan Criminal Court and is heard under the terms of the New York Penal Code. The fact that he is French is irrelevant for these purposes as the offense did not occur in France or breach French law, and provided France has an extradition agreement in place with the USA (which I believe it does) they would be dutybound to extradite him.

Anyway, it's difficult to make any comment until the case has been concluded, but it's certainly a worrying set of allegations if nothing else.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick