TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20

Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 16th 2011, 10:38 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, head of the international monetary fund, has been jailed for attacking and attempting to rape a hotel maid. He was arrested just moments before the departure of his flight back home to France. Now there are others coming forward saying he had violated them in the past too. He is now being held without bail.

Details may be triggering for some:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/16/...ing/index.html
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 17th 2011, 12:38 AM

This is just crazy! I'm not exactly sure what his position really is, but for someone of 'power' (which I'm assuming is what he is) to be accused of rape, on continuous accusations, is quite ridiculous. I seen something similiar on the TV show Army Wives, and when I read this, I immediately thought of it.

I surely hope that he gets what comes to him if the accusations turn out to be true.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 17th 2011, 01:14 AM

Not really sure what makes him think he could have gotten away with this. He was in a huge building that was in a very public setting in the middle of a huge city.

I'm also not sure what the exact practices are for a foreigner committing a crime while legally in the U.S. I'd assume that he'll be put on trial in a NYC criminal courtroom.

Idiot.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 17th 2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Not really sure what makes him think he could have gotten away with this. He was in a huge building that was in a very public setting in the middle of a huge city.

I'm also not sure what the exact practices are for a foreigner committing a crime while legally in the U.S. I'd assume that he'll be put on trial in a NYC criminal courtroom.

Idiot.
I believe he would have to be taken back to France to be tried, but I could be wrong. I thought I heard something similar to this but I don't know how true it is.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 17th 2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post

I believe he would have to be taken back to France to be tried, but I could be wrong. I thought I heard something similar to this but I don't know how true it is.
The jurisdiction of a court over an offence is determined by where the offence took place, not the nationality of the claimed offender. In this instance, as the offence took place in the Manhattan district of New York the case falls within the jurisdiction of the Manhattan Criminal Court and is heard under the terms of the New York Penal Code. The fact that he is French is irrelevant for these purposes as the offense did not occur in France or breach French law, and provided France has an extradition agreement in place with the USA (which I believe it does) they would be dutybound to extradite him.

Anyway, it's difficult to make any comment until the case has been concluded, but it's certainly a worrying set of allegations if nothing else.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 17th 2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
The jurisdiction of a court over an offence is determined by where the offence took place, not the nationality of the claimed offender. In this instance, as the offence took place in the Manhattan district of New York the case falls within the jurisdiction of the Manhattan Criminal Court and is heard under the terms of the New York Penal Code. The fact that he is French is irrelevant for these purposes as the offense did not occur in France or breach French law, and provided France has an extradition agreement in place with the USA (which I believe it does) they would be dutybound to extradite him.

Anyway, it's difficult to make any comment until the case has been concluded, but it's certainly a worrying set of allegations if nothing else.
That's what I thought! I didn't know whether or not he would have to be sent back to France or not (And I didn't say that just because of his nationality, I really thought that was what was supposed to happen). Thank you for clearing that up!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 19th 2011, 04:14 AM

Unfortunately, they are having trouble proving that he actually raped the maid. Either way, it's hard to judge this situation without more facts and it going to trail. It's an interesting allegation at least.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape - May 19th 2011, 05:21 PM

To clarify an earlier comment I made, I have since discovered that France does not in fact have an extradition treaty with the USA and would therefore not be obliged to send him back to the USA for trial (which would explain why the prosecution objected strongly to bail and why it was denied). However, France would still be unable to exercise jurisdiction over the case so the remaining points still stand, and there is the question of political pressure to extradite him regardless as a "fugitive from justice" to consider as well.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
Closed Thread