(#12 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18 Points: 15,744, Level: 18

Re: Dating multiple people at once - May 18th 2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post

First question: No, I don't really view it as cheating. Nobody can really be upset, or get mad about the situation because there was no definition of the relationship before hand. Neither party defined the relationship as being exclusive and/or official, so therefore, they don't have any romantic ties to that person, or they have no obligation to that person. There should be a communication beforehand to make sure that the relationship is going to with FWB or a monogamous relationship. Example: My current boyfriend and I talked about being FWB before we started dating. We had an entire two hour conversation about what the terms were, what we expected out of each other. Our main rule was: if we are out together, in a group, we would go home together, not with anyone else. But, if we were out separately, we were allowed to do what we wanted with whoever we wanted, as long as we communicated what we did with the other person with each other. That way, we sort of knew what was going on, and to make sure that both of us were being safe since neither of us could handle a pregnancy scare, or even the slightest STD scare. A few weeks later, however, we both realized that our feelings for each other were too strong, and we made it official. We have been in a monogamous relationship ever since!

For the second question: I think that a couple of years ago, it's definitely viewed as 'girls are sluts, guys are studs'. But, it's becoming more and more acceptable these days. Of course, we are all judgmental creatures, and I still think of girls who sleep around as sluts, I'm not going to lie. But, it's not my place to voice that opinion (except for here, since I feel like I can do that here, so girls who have slept with multiple people at once, please don't hate me). But, I don't think of the guy as a 'stud'. I also view him as a slut, or man-whore for lack of a better word here. They're no different than us, except they can't get pregnant. Sleeping around isn't something I was ever interested in, so this is where I'm basing my opinion off of. I really have no problem with anyone who wants to sleep around, it's just not and never has been for me. There is definitely a double standard there, and there shouldn't be. Men and woman who have slept around should be viewed in the same context, although, that will definitely not be happening anytime soon.
*applauds* another well-articulated post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
I think there is a big difference between dating, and being in a relationship. To me, dating is what happens before you make it official, and why shouldn't you date multiple people at once? It gives you a better chance of finding the person you want to be in a relationship with.
Until you have that conversation to make it official, I think it is perfectly acceptable to 'play the field'
However, I will say that it's not an enjoyable experience having to tell one person that you don't want to see them because you met someone else more compatible.
As for your question regarding the double standards, I've had both sides. My closest girl friends, and guy friends tell me it's perfectly acceptable for me to play the field if I choose to, but I have some other friends who do look down on me, and view what I'm doing as deceitful. Though I think that is because they have more traditional views than I do. As in, they view dating someone meaning they are instantly exclusive, whereas I don't because nothing has been said to make it that way. I have seen the same for men as well, sometimes they will be 'studs' sometimes, 'players'. I think it depends on the people really.
I don't think there needs to be a conversation about the possibility of dating other people. Unless something is made official, personally, I would assume they are dating others, as I probably would be also If the girl gets mad about it, she should have had a conversation with you regarding dating other people. It should not be implied that once dating starts everyone is exclusive.
Of course, there will be many who disagree with me, and that's all fine and well, but that's my opinion on the matter.
So go forth and date, you stud
*more applause*

So what are you doing Friday night?

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."