View Single Post
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
LostAngels Offline
Glam Rocker/Classic Violinist
Average Joe

Name: Jordan Lorraine

Points: 9,414, Level: 14 Points: 9,414, Level: 14 Points: 9,414, Level: 14

Re: Would you date (or are you dating) someone you've never met in person? - November 23rd 2011, 01:38 AM

Assuming you're asking because you are currently in a situation where you're considering this option; I'm going to give you my personal experience here, and hopefully you take it in to consideration.

Years ago, I met a guy named Aaron online. He lived 3 hours away, he was the frontman for his local city's band, and most importantly; he seemed absolutely perfect. He was my first boyfriend.

• Within 3 months of talking online (still not having met) he said he loved me, thought I was the one, had never felt this way, blah blah blah.*
• 6 months in to knowing him, he came to spend a week with me for my birthday. This was the first time we met. He admitted that he had gone on multiple dates with girls back home, sent/ recieved nude pictures. I forgave him.
• 2 years in to our relationship, I begun having severe feelings of suspicion and distrust. This turned in to about a year of arguing, anger, etc.
• 3 years into our relationship, he lost it and accused me of being an 'immature little b*tch' who should have just ended it a long time ago if I was incapable of trusting him, considering he did 'nothing to deserve it.' I broke up with him.
• 2 weeks after the break up, two of his former room mates who lived with him the whole time I dated him, shared with me that he had in fact cheated on me on practically a weekly basis the entire time, went on more dates then either could count, and on multiple occasions laughed at the idea of him 'actually' being committed to me when the topic was brought up.*
• It took me a year to finally get over him.*

My point is, is not all long-distance relationships turn out this way, and I realize I was naive at the time.
But this man used me as a way to ensure he'd never be alone.
When a partner lives far away, there's a lot less of a possibility of you finding out absolutely anything they're doing.*
It's also a lot easier to keep you happy considering actions aren't particularly expected, and it's all words. That's easy.*

If you want to be in a long-distance relationship, you have to be able to acknowledge certain signs, and NOT be in denial when you see them. Some of those include
• Not talking to you for a surprisingly long time period
• No motivation to visit regularly
• If he/she keeps his friends/ family in the dark about your existence or relation to him
• Absolutely any instinctive feeling that something's wrong.*