View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: What IS religion? - January 29th 2012, 03:10 PM

Religion to me is about incorporating the practices of different religions in my daily life. I don't care much about the history. Its about the present practices to me.
I was born in a Punjabi household and I follow many Punjabi practices. The whole concept of Gurudwara is my favourite. There we have "Langars" and everyone, male-female, Hindu-Muslim-Sikh, rich-poor, they all sit down on the floor and eat the food together made by people like them. Then there is the concept of "Seva" which means service. There are cleaning cloths kept there and anyone can clean the Gurudwara. It basically to show that everyone is equal.
Then there is this rule in Islam that everyone should donate a certain percentage of their earning every month to charity. I want to do this when I start earning.
I go to the Church sometimes because I like how everyone sings together and the Priest sometimes says some lovely things about life. I find it very soothing. Same for Gurudwaras.
So, that is religion to me. I don't know the histories of any of these religions, but I am following their present practices and all. It doesn't matter to me how these started, just that I follow them because I like them.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows