TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

What IS religion? - January 13th 2012, 06:20 PM

I'm in a World Religions class this semester. On our second day of class we were asked to answer this question. Without specifics for certain religions (i.e. no specifics to Christianity, Islam, etc), what IS religion? Not necessarily what the Webster definition is, but what do you define it as? We had some interesting answers in class and I'd love to see some of the responses from people on here.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18

Re: What IS religion? - January 13th 2012, 06:24 PM

Quite simply, it is a means for man to answer the unanswerable, in a sense. As those questions get answered, the need for religion diminishes. It's also a social construct- it teaches you how to behave, and it uses heaven, or Nirvana, as a carrot on a stick, so to speak, to motivate that.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: What IS religion? - January 14th 2012, 05:06 AM

I believe religion is an example of life. Not always how it should be lived, but a place where you can refer to for life's questions and an opinion to keep in mind when situations arise. A place of comfort, a place for debate.
It's not the end all of all situations, but sometimes it has its place.

Member since 2005
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Points: 14,168, Level: 17 Points: 14,168, Level: 17 Points: 14,168, Level: 17

Re: What IS religion? - January 14th 2012, 06:57 AM

Many say the etymology of religion lies with the Latin word religare, which means “to tie, to bind.” This seems to be favored on the assumption that it helps explain the power religion has.
Although some argue that religion doesn’t really exist.
It's just a matter of opinion I guess.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: What IS religion? - January 14th 2012, 08:53 AM

Umm...a nice answer or how I honestly feel?

Hahaha, I kid mostly. I think it's somebody's own personal spirituality and how they choose to express. I don't have any type of spirituality, personally, and think most of it is cult-like, scams, wanting money, wanting to divide people, and are ways to be able to keep the lower classes quiet. However, religion has saved many people, so I try to have respect.

something burning?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18

Re: What IS religion? - January 14th 2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyTeen View Post
Many say the etymology of religion lies with the Latin word religare, which means “to tie, to bind.” This seems to be favored on the assumption that it helps explain the power religion has.
Although some argue that religion doesn’t really exist.
It's just a matter of opinion I guess.
That is a tricky statement. Existence is an already not agreed upon concept in philosophy- what does it mean to exist? If there are things that do exist, what quantifies the things that don't?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LostAngels Offline
Glam Rocker/Classic Violinist
Average Joe

Name: Jordan Lorraine

Points: 9,414, Level: 14 Points: 9,414, Level: 14 Points: 9,414, Level: 14

Re: What IS religion? - January 26th 2012, 05:26 AM

The following is my own personal opinion, and I mean absolutely no offence by it, regardless of how intense it is.
In my World Religion class last semester, I had to write and essay on 'What is religion, in your own words?' This was a small aspect of my response, and believe it or not, I got 100%.

"I feel strongly that the entire concept of organized religion is nothing more than the world's most damaging and contagious societal illness.
The fact that the vast majority of the world's population are incapable of living their every day lives by their own rules and values, is a thought that often makes me feel uneasy. Knowing that so many people are so mentally weak is a very off-putting, disheartening feeling that truly makes me question the potential and intent of everybody I come in contact with.
Religion was created by disorganized, power-hungry people who merely discovered a way far more efficient to control people than money. That is, giving people false hope, and instilling 'faith' in them, rather than teaching them to go try and make an impact on this world themselves.
The bible is full of contradictions, hypocrisy, and has been rewritten more times than I can count.
How is it something can be so strongly relied on and believed in, when it has been REWRITTEN every so often to fit the current views and beliefs held within that era?"

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: What IS religion? - January 26th 2012, 06:19 AM

This might come off a little abrasive but it's 2 in the morning, and I'm laying awake craving cupcakes I can't have. So...

My answer in one word: EVIL. Sets of rules that some people a long time ago mostly pulled out of their asses. Now please don't think I equate religion with a belief in God, I think it's perfectly possible to have one without the other. It's religion and all of the hell it causes that I take issue with.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: What IS religion? - January 27th 2012, 03:39 PM

I see religion as a person's choice of spiritual beliefs. It's what gives them comfort and helps them to see how they want to live their lives. In a way, I also think religion has been damaging to many cultures. But, it's not necessarily because of the beliefs within the religions -- it's mostly caused by other people and their lack of tolerance for people who believe differently from themselves.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I just woke up and I'm still groggy.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: What IS religion? - January 27th 2012, 05:03 PM

I think one of the mistakes many non-religious people make is thinking that all Christians believe religion is the most important thing. Obviously there are a lot of Christians who do believe that. But religion is not what is important to me. God is important to me. I don't need the label of Christianity to know what I believe in. I don't go to church, and I absolutely hate that churches run like a government, trying to tell you what you can and can't do. It seems like the purpose of the church is not to spread the word of God, but to judge God's people and scare them into believing. That's not how I think that things should be. God is what is important in life, not religion. Religion is simply a means to categorize yourself and make it easier when someone asks "What do you believe in?" To me it is nothing more than that.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: What IS religion? - January 28th 2012, 03:57 AM

Religion is equivalent to a cult and is a way to control people through presenting stories and ideas as fact. It dictates how people should live their life, enforces its own morals and presumes itself to be correct. Religion is also a way to answer questions that are not yet resolved through other means.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: What IS religion? - January 28th 2012, 08:21 AM

Religion to me would mean someone's fundamental beliefs and values of which they base all of their choices and actions. That's putting it simply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
...a way to answer questions that are not yet resolved through other means
That's my definition of bullshit.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by NonIndigenous; January 28th 2012 at 08:27 AM.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: What IS religion? - January 29th 2012, 03:10 PM

Religion to me is about incorporating the practices of different religions in my daily life. I don't care much about the history. Its about the present practices to me.
I was born in a Punjabi household and I follow many Punjabi practices. The whole concept of Gurudwara is my favourite. There we have "Langars" and everyone, male-female, Hindu-Muslim-Sikh, rich-poor, they all sit down on the floor and eat the food together made by people like them. Then there is the concept of "Seva" which means service. There are cleaning cloths kept there and anyone can clean the Gurudwara. It basically to show that everyone is equal.
Then there is this rule in Islam that everyone should donate a certain percentage of their earning every month to charity. I want to do this when I start earning.
I go to the Church sometimes because I like how everyone sings together and the Priest sometimes says some lovely things about life. I find it very soothing. Same for Gurudwaras.
So, that is religion to me. I don't know the histories of any of these religions, but I am following their present practices and all. It doesn't matter to me how these started, just that I follow them because I like them.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: What IS religion? - January 29th 2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toz View Post
Quite simply, it is a means for man to answer the unanswerable, in a sense. As those questions get answered, the need for religion diminishes. It's also a social construct- it teaches you how to behave, and it uses heaven, or Nirvana, as a carrot on a stick, so to speak, to motivate that.
Our opions on religion are very differnet, and yet your definition is very similair to what I was going to post. Interesting.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
Closed Thread