View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: hearing voices- telling doctor HELP - February 23rd 2012, 03:30 PM

Eh, I hear voices when I swing either depressed or manic and I know how hard it is to tell your doctor the first time. Your doctor is a psychiatrist though, they hear this all the time and it really won't phase them, they'll ask you questions about it and try to figure out the best course of action but they won't think any different of you.
I had so much trouble saying it the first time I pretty much had to blurt it out really fast like it was just a sidenote to our conversation. She didn't blink, just wrote something down and changed my medication. Now I have no problem telling her when I hear them again because firstly, I realized she doesn't give a hoot if I do or not as long as my meds are right, and secondly it's in my best interest to tell her asap if it does happen.
If it's really hard you could always do the whole write it down on a piece of paper and throw it at your doctor trick. But really, telling a psychiatrist you're hearing a voice is like telling a general physician you have chest pain, yes it might seem serious at first glance but really it can be a symptom of so many things and they hear it so often that there's really nothing to it for them anymore.

Member since 2005