TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22

hearing voices- telling doctor HELP - February 23rd 2012, 03:07 PM

So i've had depression and anxiety for a long long time, leading to panic attacks and eating disorders.

I've always had low self-esteem and thought negatively.

But for the last month things have gone weird. Theres this voice inside my head, telling me that i'm fat, worthless, ugly useless etc. The last week it's got worse. Started telling me to do things, to cut myself, to not eat, to walk in front of a car.

I know it's in my head, but it's not me thinking these things. And it's scary. Because it feels like theres someone following me all the time, talking to me.

I spoke to my councillor today which was so hard to do.
But she told me to tell my doctor tomorow, as i have a meeting to check my anti-depresants and anti-anxiety tabs are working ok.

I have no idea how to approach this. I feel so stupid, like i'm going crazy.
'Oh hey doc, yeh i'm hearing voices'
Sound like a bloody nutter
HELP

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: hearing voices- telling doctor HELP - February 23rd 2012, 03:30 PM

Eh, I hear voices when I swing either depressed or manic and I know how hard it is to tell your doctor the first time. Your doctor is a psychiatrist though, they hear this all the time and it really won't phase them, they'll ask you questions about it and try to figure out the best course of action but they won't think any different of you.
I had so much trouble saying it the first time I pretty much had to blurt it out really fast like it was just a sidenote to our conversation. She didn't blink, just wrote something down and changed my medication. Now I have no problem telling her when I hear them again because firstly, I realized she doesn't give a hoot if I do or not as long as my meds are right, and secondly it's in my best interest to tell her asap if it does happen.
If it's really hard you could always do the whole write it down on a piece of paper and throw it at your doctor trick. But really, telling a psychiatrist you're hearing a voice is like telling a general physician you have chest pain, yes it might seem serious at first glance but really it can be a symptom of so many things and they hear it so often that there's really nothing to it for them anymore.

Member since 2005
Closed Thread