View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 12th 2012, 03:18 AM

I agree with jailing the rape victim in this case. First, she is required to attend court but has failed to do so more than once. Placing her under house arrest does not ensure she attends court, it simply ensures her location is known. Having officers keep guard of her wastes precious police time that could be better served elsewhere. Second, given the description of the rapist's tattoos, the article attempts to infer he is a group member and it is likely the police were weary the rape victim would suffer if not protected. Placing her in jail ensures she is monitored 24/7 and she likely would be housed away from other inmates. There is no doubt she was inconvenienced, however, the rights and protection of society trump the rights of one victim. Increasing the trauma the victim has gone through is an unfortunate by-product that may occur at the expense of protecting society.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)