TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20

Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 07:06 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

WTF... this isn't right. This definitely isn't right.

http://kplr11.com/2012/04/06/rape-vi...suspect-trial/
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Cather Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,359, Level: 14 Points: 10,359, Level: 14 Points: 10,359, Level: 14

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 07:27 AM

This is absolutely terrible, her rights are being completely violated, not to mention the psychological trauma she's probably experiencing right now.

If they were worried about her not showing up, why not put her on house arrest and give her an ankle monitor?

If no one cared, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 9,649, Level: 14 Points: 9,649, Level: 14 Points: 9,649, Level: 14

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 08:47 AM

Her rights are secondary to the possibility of the perp walking free and raping more young girls. Gotta break eggs to make an omlette.

- Yogi
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Her rights are secondary to the possibility of the perp walking free and raping more young girls. Gotta break eggs to make an omlette.

- Yogi
I fully agree with this but I think jail is too much. Why not house arrest, or maybe putting police guard 24 hours outside her house?

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 11:16 AM

Jail for people awaiting trial is much different than jail for those who've had trial and were deemed guilty (at least where I live). It's not as bad as you might think, and I think it's worth it to put a possibly dangerous offender behind bars. The good of many outweighs the good of one.
And as with all media articles, there's probably more than meets the eye here. For all we know this might be in part to protect her from the guy's friends until the trial is over.

Member since 2005
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,930, Level: 13 Points: 8,930, Level: 13 Points: 8,930, Level: 13

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post

- Yogi
I think it's going a bit far. Rape victims are already traumatised, not to mention the idea that to testify you have to see the rapist right there and recount the events. I doubt that holding a victim in a jail cell will help matters in the least.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 02:03 PM

I agree. This is ridiculous! Putting the VICTIM (which I'm sure is already terribly traumatized) in jail just because she's a VICTIM makes no sense, and the article says she has the right to refuse to testify [which I'm rather sure is true]. I'd like to know what state law says rape victims can be jailed for being a rape victim to force them to testify in court. I want the criminal to be punished too, but not at the expense of further traumatizing and violating the rights of his victim.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 03:27 PM

I agree that jailing was going too far. As the others have already said, house arrest would've been a smarter move here.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 11th 2012, 03:49 PM

I was going to say it was a bit too far, but she's apparently skipped two court dates before.

If that was anyone else, they'd most definitely be in jail.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 12th 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Linux Penguin View Post
I agree. This is ridiculous! Putting the VICTIM (which I'm sure is already terribly traumatized) in jail just because she's a VICTIM makes no sense, and the article says she has the right to refuse to testify [which I'm rather sure is true]. I'd like to know what state law says rape victims can be jailed for being a rape victim to force them to testify in court. I want the criminal to be punished too, but not at the expense of further traumatizing and violating the rights of his victim.
You can refuse to testify, but if you're legally presented a summons to attend court, you must go.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 12th 2012, 02:48 AM

I agree that this is going way too far. I mean, she's required to appear in court even if she doesn't testify, so house arrest would be a better move. They're just traumatizing her even more.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 12th 2012, 03:18 AM

I agree with jailing the rape victim in this case. First, she is required to attend court but has failed to do so more than once. Placing her under house arrest does not ensure she attends court, it simply ensures her location is known. Having officers keep guard of her wastes precious police time that could be better served elsewhere. Second, given the description of the rapist's tattoos, the article attempts to infer he is a group member and it is likely the police were weary the rape victim would suffer if not protected. Placing her in jail ensures she is monitored 24/7 and she likely would be housed away from other inmates. There is no doubt she was inconvenienced, however, the rights and protection of society trump the rights of one victim. Increasing the trauma the victim has gone through is an unfortunate by-product that may occur at the expense of protecting society.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Authorities JAIL Teen Rape Victim To Ensure She Will Attend Trial - April 13th 2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I fully agree with this but I think jail is too much. Why not house arrest, or maybe putting police guard 24 hours outside her house?
Armed guard outside her house costs money, much more than keeping her in a cell.

I doubt she's being treated like the average criminal, however I'll admit this is a bit much.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
Closed Thread