View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 05:21 PM

As someone with depression made worse by stress I can tell you that it makes things a lot harder, but it is doable. Most if not all schools have accomodations available for students with disabilities which I believe includes mental illness.

As everyone else has said, look at what you want to do with your future and see what you would need. Online classes are an option, but keep in mind that a lot of times there's more work involved because you basically have to teach yourself the material. You could also delay college until you're more stable or forgo it completely if you don't need it for what you want to do.

It's a decision every person has to make for themselves, you have to find the balance between not overwhelming yourself while not letting your illness hold you back. If you're seeing a professional I would discuss it with them or talk to someone at a potential college to see what's involved. Community college is generally less stressful than a 4 year school and you can decide how many hours to take etc.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte