(#26 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: religion - June 20th 2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Also, I think it's because Sunday school and youth group classes today focus so much on being "modern and "entertaining", that when the kids become adults, they have to go to real church which seems "boring" because there is no room for selfish things there. I think if we start them off in nursery and children's church learning scriptures and understanding God instead of playing games and having snacks, tey will be used to it and learn to love it for when they get older.
From personal experience, I would have to disagree with you. I was offered the Sunday school experience of playing games and eating snacks, and I didn't like it. I really didn't see the point of going to "school" to "learn about the Bible" and not actually doing much there. So I asked my parents to take me to the regular services with them. It didn't take long for me to become disillusioned with that too. They kept saying God was a loving, merciful father, and then turning around and talking about eternal damnation. (This is just one example of the kind of behavior I didn't like. I know not all denominations do this specifically.)

I think that the accounts here of people having the opposite Sunday schoo experience growing up, who then rejected church later in life, kind of make yours a moot point. We just don't buy it. It's boring to some of us (personally, I found it very interesting but just not believable), and pointless to almost all of us.

I started reading the Bible on my own around the age of twelve, put a lot of thought and prayer into it, and decided that I just don't buy what it's selling. I still pick up the Bible and read it sometimes, but I have never been able to believe what it says.

I tried going to a Unitarian Universalist church for a while, but found that its congregation was just as pushy as the congregations of the other churches I had tried. So, no church it is. I'll either be working or sleeping in on Sunday mornings.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine