Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Parents and cutting - October 14th 2012, 10:41 PM

Hi There,

It is really great you attempted to get support from your guardians about how to help your friend even when you struggle with the same issues. You are a very caring person and seem like a great friend.
It is unfortunate they were not of more support to you however, they may not understand these issues as well as you may think. A lot of people are uneducated, or do not understand things such as suicide and SH. SH is difficult to get over but I know you and your friend can do it.
Try finding another adult to talk to, such as this other mom you mentioned. If she seems more motherly and like she would be supportive, talking to her may help. Also, printing out information about SH and suicide might help her understand if she seems confused or starts to get upset. This will allow her to read what is true and might help her be able to help handle the situation better.
You can also try talking to someone at school such as a guidance counselor, nurse, psychologist or a teacher.
You and your friend do not have to go through stopping SH on your own.
Another thing that may help both of you are the alternatives. TeenHelp has a list of Alternatives to SH (that I linked above) that is a list of distractions you can use to take up time that you would SH-ing and make it either productive or fun until the urges pass. You can do any of the items mentioned on the list. Some may sound weird and like they will not help but try as many as possible out and see how they help, not all of them work for everyone so do not get discouraged at first if they are not helping as you would like. It takes time to find things to help quit or distract from SH.
If either of you need someone to talk to, you can call a hotline and a professional counselor will listen to you, confidentially and there is no fee. There are hotlines for different countries and many are 24/7.
Hopefully your friend and you are doing okay and that this reply is helpful to you.
We are all here if either of you need us.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."