View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 25th 2012, 09:34 PM

Hi There,

To be honest, I struggled with this in high school and I now struggle with this in college.
While I am not going to discourage getting a diagnosis, I will say, even if you get one, that does not mean you can just not do your work or put it off and be like "Oh, I am having a tough day or I do not want to do this so I will just ask for an extention."
You are responsible for turning things in and for getting them done, no one else can do your homework for you. Well, they can in high school (I've seen it happen) but once you get to college you really will be in a hard place because all of the work will be mostly individual and no one can read and memorize information for you and take your exams for you. So learning to manage your time and understanding that other things can wait, games, hanging out with friends, watching tv shows etc.
I understand you mentioned having anxiety, depression and an ED and if you are not currently, I suggest you talk to a counselor or psychologist on a regular basis. If you are speaking to a professional, they can help you learn ways to manage your time, cope with your depression, deal with the anxiety (whether that means medication or accomodations at school) and they can help you with getting support for your ED.
This will not be easy, changing how you do things and learning to cope with the disorders or diagnoses you have is not going to be easy and it is not easy for anyone.
The main thing that is going to get things back on track for you and get your work done is you. In the end, everyone else can help as much as possible and if you do not take the suggestions or recommendations, you will only see the results of your own actions.
You also mentioned that you have A's and B's. Those are not bad grades and understand that when we are struggling it is completely normal to perform lower in school and with other activities.
Once you improve on managing your time, dealing with the depression and the ED, over time you will gain the ability to focus, get things done on time and ultimately be more productive.
Also, talk to your teachers ahead of time and not the day the assignment is due. For example, if it is a really huge project ask them for help, stay after with them, go in before school or use a study hall/free block/period. If you show them you are dedicated and that you want to succeed by working at getting things done, even with what you are struggling with, they will respect you better than the students they may see on the day of that ask for an extention and do not apply themselves as highly or that do this constantly.

I hope this has helped and you can PM me if you ever need anything or just want to chat.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."