TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 22nd 2012, 12:01 PM

I'm in my freshman year of high school. I've read how this is the year for your grades. So right now, I have all B's. They are all like one point from being an A. I'm really struggling with depression and a lot of other things. I don't usually like to ask for help, but I'm falling behind on my assignments and I don't want to see my grades drop. Anyway, do you think my teachers would give me more time if I explain I'm going through a really hard time?
Do you have any advice for getting through school with depression, anxiety, and an ED?

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 22nd 2012, 02:01 PM

From a schools point of view, you're problems are not really their problems, however you should be able to apply for an extension if you have a reason and well depression etc may well be one, perhaps not so at Senior schooling and they will probably direct you to see the school nurse/counselor about it.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 22nd 2012, 05:20 PM

The only way they might be obligated would be if you had a note from a doctor or psychological professional showing that you have an official diagnosis. Then they would treat it like a disability and you could get accommodations. Otherwise you can ask, but they won't have to do it and some will probably refuse. Also, being one point away from an A is good enough that you don't have sufficient evidence that it's interfering with your work enough for you to require special circumstances.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 23rd 2012, 06:33 PM

Cassie,
I know school work can be really hard to work on when you have other things going on in your life. But, everyone has things going on in their life as well. Often teachers give you several days to complete larger assignments, so try your best to finish them as soon as possible so you can focus on the next project. This is the perfect time to learn how to organize your time wisely, because once you get into a university, due dates are final, there are no negotiations. And like Katie said, it’s not like you are failing the course. So I don’t think that teachers are going to allow you special circumstances seeing as you are already doing well.
On another note, I hope you are getting help for your depression and are speaking to your parents or a doctor about it. They can help with getting your motivated and focused on your school work.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 23rd 2012, 07:05 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm the only one who has problems, I know everyone else has problems. I'm just at the point where I have nothing left to give and I'm ready to kill myself. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll probably mention it at my 504 plan meeting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 23rd 2012, 07:48 PM

I hate to be amongst the mass here because I know it's not what you want to hear. But it's true. EVERYONE has problems in their lives, and you have to learn how to manage your problems and your obligations. Just do as many of your assignments as you can, focus on making sure the bigger ones worth more grades are getting done, and if some have to be late, just go to your teachers, tell them you are getting it done and that they'll be in soon, and work on it. You can't realistically expect your teachers to NOT penalize you just because you are having some trouble. The standards are what they are for a reason.

I don't have anxiety or depression but I do have ADHD, and in high school I'd just wake up early where necessary to do/finish work, if I had a big project to finish I would pull an all nighter if I needed to. I learned very quickly that unless it was for a very good reason (I was sick etc) it was just better to say "it's late, I'm sorry" and leave it there, if the teacher gives a flying fart in space about WHY they will ask. But my time management in high school wasn't what it was now. And if it had been, quite frankly, I probably could have avoided losing so much sleep trying to get my work done. So that being said time management is also a big thing, you should make a schedule and leave time to study accordingly. I manage to work out 6 days a week, cook, do all my house work, and volunteer (9-10 hours a week) and get plenty of good grades and I still have free time AND get to sleep plenty. And that's not me trying to brag or something. It's just that THAT is what mastering time management allows me to do. If I couldn't manage my time shit would seriously slip through the cracks. If you PM me I can help you with designing a general schedule.
Aside from time management you should make sure you know when to ask teachers for help. I don't care if you are to stubborn to LIKE asking for help. Quite frankly your alternative is to get shitty grades when you don't understand an assignment properly. So choose as you will, but I recommend just asking for help.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Hailey

Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 24th 2012, 02:44 AM

I'm in my freshman year of high school too

I think that it can't hurt to talk to some of your teachers, maybe the ones that you like or trust the most. There were several instances last year when I had so much going on in life and I was so stressed about studying and completing assignments that I finally went to my teacher and explained everything, and each time they gave me an extension. However, I only tried this with the teachers I knew well and who I knew liked me, and there were definitely some teachers who wouldn't have given me an extension on something if my house burned down the day before it was due. I think you can sometimes just "tell" instinctively whether or not a teacher will be more lenient, although occasionally they will surprise you

If you talk to some of your teachers about what's going on and they can't give you more time to work on assignments (keep in mind, sometimes they just can't), then if they're good teachers they will at least be more understanding if you have to turn something in late or if it isn't your best work. They may also offer to help you before or after school, which can work wonders if you let them, trust me. So either way, it can't hurt to at least tell them your situation (at least the ones you trust).

And B's really aren't that bad, especially since you're so close to getting an A. If you work hard and get the help you need, I bet you could have A's by the end of the year. There's still plenty of time left for improvement.

Good luck!

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Francois Offline
Average Joe

Name: Francois

Points: 7,812, Level: 12 Points: 7,812, Level: 12 Points: 7,812, Level: 12

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 25th 2012, 11:54 AM

Here is what I have to say, having had a similar problem to you. Get to a psychologist, and have the psychologist help you. You can get an official diagnosis, and maybe even a direct recommendation from the psychologist for the school to give you an extention. If not, present the diagnosis and ask for an extension. Getting extra time for your assignments is a rather easy thing administratively, which would be the main thing they would worry about. You won't however be able to postpone examinations easily, due to the massive administration involved. You may however be able to extend the time limit on a paper.

Without a diagnosis from a professional such as a psychologist or a psychiatrist, you are unlikely to get any extra time though, unless you have very understanding teachers...

All in the name of adrenalin
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 25th 2012, 09:34 PM

Hi There,

To be honest, I struggled with this in high school and I now struggle with this in college.
While I am not going to discourage getting a diagnosis, I will say, even if you get one, that does not mean you can just not do your work or put it off and be like "Oh, I am having a tough day or I do not want to do this so I will just ask for an extention."
You are responsible for turning things in and for getting them done, no one else can do your homework for you. Well, they can in high school (I've seen it happen) but once you get to college you really will be in a hard place because all of the work will be mostly individual and no one can read and memorize information for you and take your exams for you. So learning to manage your time and understanding that other things can wait, games, hanging out with friends, watching tv shows etc.
I understand you mentioned having anxiety, depression and an ED and if you are not currently, I suggest you talk to a counselor or psychologist on a regular basis. If you are speaking to a professional, they can help you learn ways to manage your time, cope with your depression, deal with the anxiety (whether that means medication or accomodations at school) and they can help you with getting support for your ED.
This will not be easy, changing how you do things and learning to cope with the disorders or diagnoses you have is not going to be easy and it is not easy for anyone.
The main thing that is going to get things back on track for you and get your work done is you. In the end, everyone else can help as much as possible and if you do not take the suggestions or recommendations, you will only see the results of your own actions.
You also mentioned that you have A's and B's. Those are not bad grades and understand that when we are struggling it is completely normal to perform lower in school and with other activities.
Once you improve on managing your time, dealing with the depression and the ED, over time you will gain the ability to focus, get things done on time and ultimately be more productive.
Also, talk to your teachers ahead of time and not the day the assignment is due. For example, if it is a really huge project ask them for help, stay after with them, go in before school or use a study hall/free block/period. If you show them you are dedicated and that you want to succeed by working at getting things done, even with what you are struggling with, they will respect you better than the students they may see on the day of that ask for an extention and do not apply themselves as highly or that do this constantly.

I hope this has helped and you can PM me if you ever need anything or just want to chat.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 25th 2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I do see professionals and I have diagnosises. I had my 504 plan meeting today for my Asperger's. I'm not the type of person to use that as an excuse. My grades aren't A's and B's anymore. I'm failing, I wish I could give up sometimes.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Hailey

Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18 Points: 16,271, Level: 18

Re: Will my teachers give me more time for school work? - October 26th 2012, 02:04 AM

I really think you should ask your teachers to help you. Because you are failing now, I'm absolutely sure that they will be willing to help, even if you don't even tell them about everything else (although I think you should tell them, if you trust them). The majority of teachers want to help their students succeed in every way possible and will go to great lengths to help you out. They may not have thought you really needed help when you were getting A's and B's, but failing a class pretty clearly states "I need help." Now you just have to show them that you want it.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13
Closed Thread