TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 14,954, Level: 17 Points: 14,954, Level: 17 Points: 14,954, Level: 17

I don't want to work internationally - October 30th 2012, 03:03 AM

I have always thought that I wanted to work internationally, hopping countries through countries. I've always been curious about geography and history and I love learning about countries and their issues. Because of this, I chose a double major (one of them being an international-focused major).

I went to Europe for a few months this summer and even though I had a great time, I felt very depressed when I came home. I felt lost (as if I didn't know what to do) because I had lost my normal routine. Weeks went by, I saw my friends, and eventually I got back to my routine.

However, this whole experience showed me how important it is to have a support system (family and friends). If I want to actually pursue this degree, I would have to study and work internationally. But I don`t want to do that anymore. I have moved places so much throughout my whole life that I`m tired of it. I`m tired of always starting fresh in a new place. For once in my life, I feel that I finally have a good support system and I don`t want to leave. I was looking up the CVs of a few of my professors and they have done schooling and work in at least a few different countries. I just could not imagine how it would be to have a social life when you`re constantly moving... I even heard another professor say that he`s married to his work...

I remember a few months ago I was looking up a 6-month internship with the UN. It would be completely perfect and it would look sooooo good in my resume but.. that means leaving home again for 6 months. And to be honest, I think I`ve done quite of bit of traveling for my age and I think I would like to settle down for now (not that I will not travel for vacation or something, but not for long periods of time). I am able to adjust to new environments (since I`ve been forced to before), but I`m also a bit closed off and I think the reason is because I`ve never had a stable group of friends.

I think that I can still be interested in international issues but I feel that being close to home is more important to me.

I guess this was not really a question lol, mostly just my thoughts. But I would love to hear what you guys think. I think my problem is to realize that just because I`m not working internationally, doesn`t mean that I cannot be successful in my line of work (I have no idea why I used to think that lol-- perhaps it`s the fault of the many ads that promote international work)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: I don't want to work internationally - October 31st 2012, 06:12 PM

Well, I'm glad that you're recognizing this now, vs. later in your life/career! =) That means you can start looking for jobs that don't require a complete relocation. I'm sure there are jobs that will just require you to travel for a few weeks, then come back home.

Closed Thread