View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
theperksofbeingglencoco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,611, Level: 11 Points: 6,611, Level: 11 Points: 6,611, Level: 11

Question My sister has an eating disorder. What should I do? - February 11th 2013, 10:45 PM

This is my first time posting here.
Anyway I could really use some advice.

A little over a month ago my older sister, who happens to be 19, tried to kill herself, she's been dealing with depression, anxiety, and has been going to therapy about once a week for the last month.

But over the last week and a half or so I've noticed she's not really eating very much. Were both home all day and share a room so I'm sure of this. She passed out recently and as someone who's passed out before from lack of food I know what it looks like. She also has a blog that's borderline pro-anorexia. It all just really scares me. She's really important to me and while we hang out and watch Gilmore Girls and love each over very much she doesn't talk to me about this stuff.

I'm really uncertain about telling my parents. While their both aware of the depression and anxiety, I don't think they know about the eating disorder. Which scares me because on her blog she seems to want to keep it a secret and keep going down the same path with no real intention of stopping or trying to stop. She has a plan to try to lose weight to a point where she would be really underweight.

I don't want to tell my parents and make it worse. I'm just afraid that in their attempts to help the could make it worse. But on the other hand I'm not sure what's going to happen if I don't say anything. I don't want to leave it alone and just have her spiral down. Eveything I've read about this says that I should sit her down and try to talk about it. But since she's in therapy and my parents already know about the anxiety and depression I'm not sure this is the right choice.