View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: My sister has an eating disorder. What should I do? - February 13th 2013, 02:46 PM

hey :)

First of all, I'm sorry you're in this situation- it can't be easy on you, or your parents, and obviously not your sister. What I do want to say is that your sister is very lucky to have someone who cares so much about her to seek advice on her behalf. The fact she has you, and caring parents, means this whole recovery thing is more likely to work. :)

Honestly, I think your situation sucks. But, I also think deep down, you know what you need to do. If she's passing out from hunger, then she's probably doing some serious shiz to her body. That needs fixed. But, I don't think you should tell your parents straight away. I think, and this could backfire, you need to talk to her first. Make an ultimatum. Either she starts eating/talks to her therapist about this/ tells her parents about this- or you will. Eating disorders aren't anything to be fucked about with. This thing needs treated.

On a personal level, though, I think her parents need to know- for the sheer fact that she's practically killing herself slowly here, and they have a right as parents to know what they're protecting their daughter from. Really encourage your sister to talk to them, and you- if you can handle it, please please don't take on things you can't handle, that will hurt you and leave you in a position where you'll do more harm than good. What your sister does is her responsibility, but telling your parents is probably what's right here. When your sister is in a better place and recovered, there is pretty much no chance at all she'll resent you for it. She'll probably thank you for saving her life.

Have you ever considered family therapy? It could really help, especially if your family want to find out how to best help her.

You can do this. I know it's tough, but stick with it. We're always here if you need us. Head up darling <3

Take as long as you need.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.