TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): How to cover up fresh cuts? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t127661-how-cover-up-fresh-cuts/)

the_broken_one January 9th 2014 05:51 PM

How to cover up fresh cuts?

My parents found out last year about my SH problem..but I'm still cutting and they think I stopped..I cut above the elbow, near my shoulder because they check my wrists daily.. How can I cover them up so my parents don't find them..?

Its.Just.Angie January 9th 2014 09:12 PM

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts?

One thing is just to keep them clean and they usually heal faster, but if you need it quickly covered up use concealer or other skin make up. It doesnt "cover them" but they make them seem older. Im just speaking from expreinces I had and what I did to hide them not as noticable :) Sometimes if you slap on a bandaid or something and just say you fell or something that sometimes works for me! (My parents used to check my arms and stuff)

Ennui. January 10th 2014 11:50 AM

Sometimes when I have cuts near my elbow, I say that I had a really bad itch there (I have eczema) and must have just scratched myself way too much. Or I will sometimes wear a sweater and stop pulling up my sleeves just before where the cuts are, so they still think I'm clean.

I know you may not want your parents to know about the self harm though but they can really be a good support system for you, or at least can get you some help you deserve! I'd really consider being honest with them.

The Only Exception January 10th 2014 06:32 PM

Putting a Band-Aid on some of the cuts and saying I fell has worked for me.
I also use Bio Oil to make my cuts fade faster. It can be found at almost any drug store.
And keeping them clean is definitely a must. They'll heal faster if you take good care of them.
Good luck! :D

crisscrossapplesauce January 11th 2014 04:59 AM

I've found that soaking in the bath soon after you have cut really helps the cuts heal faster. Also try bandaids. I wouldn't suggest makeup on fresh cuts because there is the possibility of infection and then your parents would definitely need to know.

I understand how you don't want your parents to know, but please consider telling them! They can help you get back on track to recovery :)

Laurasaurus January 11th 2014 12:45 PM

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this in the first place. :hug:
Cleaning the cuts, covering them with a bandaid, and also using a disinfectant (like Neosporin) can definitely help cuts heal faster. Since the cuts are on your shoulders (I used to do it there, too) you can always cover them with long or short sleeved shirts. I always used to have problems after a shower when I was wrapped in a towel. From my experience, it helps to get in the habit of pulling one over your shoulders (if that's even an issue).
When you feel like cutting, you can always try our alternatives. It's the best way to prevent situations like this in the future. You can also try HelpLINK or Live Help (when it's online) when you're feeling triggered.
I know that it can be really scary to tell your parents, especially if they think that you've stopped, but it's something that you should consider. I'm sure the wrist checks are really uncomfortable, as well. If they are, it might help to sit them down and talk to them about it.

Spiderpig January 13th 2014 01:52 PM

You must keep your cuts clean and this means regularly washing them. I'd use a breathable plaster because some plasters won't allow air in to help heal the wound. Take advice on this thread about using an antiseptic.

Concealing cuts, wear cotton long sleeved tops or long sleeved T's. Be careful if considering using a healing oil, eg. tea tree oil because you might be allergic to it as I found out last year. If the cut is deep, then you must go to hospital's Accident & Emergency (called 'ER' in the US). Don't worry - nurses have seen it all before.

I was lucky in having a very understanding Mum. She and Iona my sis were there when I needed them. Parents are initially shocked out when their child self-injures, but their hearts soften as my mum's did. It's been a long time since I last SI'd. I feel stronger now.