TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
the_broken_one Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Courtney

Points: 6,846, Level: 12 Points: 6,846, Level: 12 Points: 6,846, Level: 12

Unhappy How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 9th 2014, 05:51 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My parents found out last year about my SH problem..but I'm still cutting and they think I stopped..I cut above the elbow, near my shoulder because they check my wrists daily.. How can I cover them up so my parents don't find them..?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14 Points: 10,038, Level: 14

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 9th 2014, 09:12 PM

One thing is just to keep them clean and they usually heal faster, but if you need it quickly covered up use concealer or other skin make up. It doesnt "cover them" but they make them seem older. Im just speaking from expreinces I had and what I did to hide them not as noticable Sometimes if you slap on a bandaid or something and just say you fell or something that sometimes works for me! (My parents used to check my arms and stuff)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 10th 2014, 11:50 AM

Sometimes when I have cuts near my elbow, I say that I had a really bad itch there (I have eczema) and must have just scratched myself way too much. Or I will sometimes wear a sweater and stop pulling up my sleeves just before where the cuts are, so they still think I'm clean.

I know you may not want your parents to know about the self harm though but they can really be a good support system for you, or at least can get you some help you deserve! I'd really consider being honest with them.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Points: 8,016, Level: 13 Points: 8,016, Level: 13 Points: 8,016, Level: 13

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 10th 2014, 06:32 PM

Putting a Band-Aid on some of the cuts and saying I fell has worked for me.
I also use Bio Oil to make my cuts fade faster. It can be found at almost any drug store.
And keeping them clean is definitely a must. They'll heal faster if you take good care of them.
Good luck!

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Cool as a cow
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ally

Points: 6,424, Level: 11 Points: 6,424, Level: 11 Points: 6,424, Level: 11

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 11th 2014, 04:59 AM

I've found that soaking in the bath soon after you have cut really helps the cuts heal faster. Also try bandaids. I wouldn't suggest makeup on fresh cuts because there is the possibility of infection and then your parents would definitely need to know.

I understand how you don't want your parents to know, but please consider telling them! They can help you get back on track to recovery

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 11th 2014, 12:45 PM

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this in the first place.
Cleaning the cuts, covering them with a bandaid, and also using a disinfectant (like Neosporin) can definitely help cuts heal faster. Since the cuts are on your shoulders (I used to do it there, too) you can always cover them with long or short sleeved shirts. I always used to have problems after a shower when I was wrapped in a towel. From my experience, it helps to get in the habit of pulling one over your shoulders (if that's even an issue).
When you feel like cutting, you can always try our alternatives. It's the best way to prevent situations like this in the future. You can also try HelpLINK or Live Help (when it's online) when you're feeling triggered.
I know that it can be really scary to tell your parents, especially if they think that you've stopped, but it's something that you should consider. I'm sure the wrist checks are really uncomfortable, as well. If they are, it might help to sit them down and talk to them about it.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 7,354, Level: 12 Points: 7,354, Level: 12 Points: 7,354, Level: 12

Re: How to cover up fresh cuts? - January 13th 2014, 01:52 PM

You must keep your cuts clean and this means regularly washing them. I'd use a breathable plaster because some plasters won't allow air in to help heal the wound. Take advice on this thread about using an antiseptic.

Concealing cuts, wear cotton long sleeved tops or long sleeved T's. Be careful if considering using a healing oil, eg. tea tree oil because you might be allergic to it as I found out last year. If the cut is deep, then you must go to hospital's Accident & Emergency (called 'ER' in the US). Don't worry - nurses have seen it all before.

I was lucky in having a very understanding Mum. She and Iona my sis were there when I needed them. Parents are initially shocked out when their child self-injures, but their hearts soften as my mum's did. It's been a long time since I last SI'd. I feel stronger now.

Closed Thread