TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Goals and Ambitions (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f126-goals-ambitions/)
-   -   Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f126-goals-ambitions/t71101-strange-have-goal-doesnt-relate-anything-your-life/)

VampirePrincess April 5th 2011 02:47 PM

Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life?

I have goals for school, goals for my future career, etc...but I also have another goal: writing a book. I want to write and publish at least one book in my lifetime. I don't care how successful it is, I just want it out there. Not a book on my subject, though (computer science)...I'm thinking fantasy/adventure. :) Does anyone else have a goal that doesn't quite relate to their life?

Hiraeth April 5th 2011 03:11 PM

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life?

Forgive me, but I don't see how this doesn't relate to your life? After all, it is something that you want to spend time out of your life doing, so it has to be a part of it.

Actually, I can't see how it's possible to have a personal goal (versus stuff like 'world peace', for example) that isn't... personal. XD

Lorelei April 11th 2011 12:00 AM

Hey Christine!

I agree with the above. And actually, I have the same goal as you do. I've written the VERY rough draft of a novel and I would like to maybe revise it (a LOT) and publish it or write a different novel later on that I will publish. But writing isn't something I'm sure I want to make a career of. It's just something I love doing, and if it pans out, great. If not, I have other things I love to do as well. :)

So, to make a long answer short...No. I don't think it's weird at all, but it does relate to your life!

Everglow. April 11th 2011 01:01 PM

Christine, this totally relates to your life. You obviously enjoy writing, so you want to make it something you can be known for, right? Loads of people have this goal, so no, I don't think it's strange at all. In fact, I'd love to get a book out there too, only a poetry book, as I don't have the persevierence to write a novel :hehe:

Anwyay, I wish you the best of luck in acheiving your goal, if you put your mind to it, anything is possible. :)

MegaMadness April 13th 2011 05:24 AM

It dose relate to your life. And good luck with it :)

Verità April 16th 2011 01:28 PM

Even if it didn't relate, it's not like you're forbidden to have unrelated goals. I want to master the Japanese language, and I'm going into psychology. In this world, there is so much to learn, and if you narrowed yourself to one specific place, then it just wouldn't be any fun. So go ahead and write that book! You can do it. :)

DeletedAccount31 April 16th 2011 03:11 PM

I'm guessing what you mean by "unrelated" is a goal that doesn't pertain to your chosen career path. In which case, yes, I do have some of those. :) I'm looking to go into philosophy and/or sociology, but I also have dreams like becoming fluent in French, perhaps writing a book (not sure), and helping people who are struggling with various issues like I do on here. It's great that you have an idea of what you want to do when you're older, but remember that you don't have to limit yourself to that one particular area. :) Like Alice said, if you did that, your life wouldn't be as fun or fulfilling!

Get out there and experience! There's so much to learn and to do! :hug:

Eternal April 18th 2011 12:53 AM

I don't think its weird. Different people have different interests :)

Hunter_Killer April 18th 2011 03:39 AM

Not at all shoot for the moon, so you can land among the *stars*

evans_x April 18th 2011 07:38 AM

Yup! I'd like to publish a book too! (: & at least create a nice piece of clothing for myself to wear as part of fashion designing (:

NonIndigenous April 23rd 2011 04:23 PM

It's totally normal. At some point most people will get bored with their own life and want to do something totally different that seems unrelated to their current life. Bored isn't the right word but it's the shortest way to put it.

Evanesco April 24th 2011 08:33 AM

I have a goal to visit space, and I want to go into script writing. You can have goals for anything, so long as you know you can work towards them.

I'm going to work hard, earn money and then buy a flight to space with virgin. Nothing whatsoever to do with my career choice, but a goal nonetheless.

Go and write your book! You can do it!