TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Goals and Ambitions (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f126-goals-ambitions/)
-   -   no one takes my career goal seriously.... (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f126-goals-ambitions/t91752-no-one-takes-my-career-goal-seriously/)

Chey-Chey December 31st 2011 08:50 PM

no one takes my career goal seriously....

so when i'm older, i want to be a zookeeper. everytime someone asks and i tell them that, they think im joking or they think its a job "little kids want to be" it's so annoying! i love animals, and thats the most hands on you can get with exotic animals that i know of, besides training (which im also INTERESTED in, i just don't know where to start)
i'm 16 right now and next year i'm planning on doing the running start program (earning highschool and college credits basically for free) so i'll have 2 years of education before i even enter a 4 year college, so i'll be done sooner :)
and i know i shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, but it really bugs me when i care so deeply about something and no one else thinks im serious!
i've always loved animals, i;m a vegetarian, and i love being around them more than people for the most part. but no one thinks a zookeeper is a "serious" career...drives me absolutly CRAZY!!!!

Spicy_ December 31st 2011 09:08 PM

Re: no one takes my career goal seriously....

Hi Cheyenne,

That's so good that you want to be a zoo-keeper, like how you said never care about what everyone thinks. People always will have their own opinions about anything. Study hard and keep your grades up and show all those people wrong! :)

Ambedo. December 31st 2011 09:20 PM

Being a zookeeper is a very worthwhile career goal. If it's something you're passionate about, I know you'll excel at it. Don't listen to the negativity that other people try to feed you. Live your life for you, not for others. If being a zookeeper or an animal trainer is going to make you happy, then shoot for that. :) Also, I know you live in Washington, but there is a school out here in CA called Moorpark College that has a program specializing in animal training. I'm sure there are schools like that in Washington, so that might be something you want to look into, since you said you're not sure where to start. :)

Dream December 31st 2011 09:35 PM

Maybe study zoology and business management in college and then work toward managing a zoo?

Apple Orchard Ghost December 31st 2011 09:38 PM

As long as you want to do it, forget what everyone else says, because they don't matter. Go to school, study hard, and make your life turn out how you want it. I wish you lots of luck and I hope you can accomplish your dream.

Chey-Chey December 31st 2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesBrokenDream (Post 785341)
Being a zookeeper is a very worthwhile career goal. If it's something you're passionate about, I know you'll excel at it. Don't listen to the negativity that other people try to feed you. Live your life for you, not for others. If being a zookeeper or an animal trainer is going to make you happy, then shoot for that. :) Also, I know you live in Washington, but there is a school out here in CA called Moorpark College that has a program specializing in animal training. I'm sure there are schools like that in Washington, so that might be something you want to look into, since you said you're not sure where to start. :)

i have heard of moorpaark college, and i thought it was the coolest thing ever! UNTIL i found out that a REQUIRMENT of the program is to euthanize some animals..... :'(:'(:'(:'( there's no way in hell i could do that. i'll look for some other schools though :)

AmazonQueen December 31st 2011 11:31 PM

Truth is who cares what others think? Lots of people didn't take me seriously when I said I wanted to be the first woman in the UFC. I think the best thing in these situations are to ignore them, let it be motivation for you to succeed. Show them you're not kidding. I think it's great you love animals so much and you should deffinately to do something you love so much. Stick to your guns and stand your ground. I know you'll do great.

Youth Pastor January 1st 2012 12:40 PM

Look at this as a lesson to learn from and get used to it early instead of later. Find the positive people in your life, the ones who will agree with you and support your decision. If you listen to the negative people you won't get anywhere in life. I think being a zookeeper would be fun but there's a lot of background work we don't see. If you want to be a zookeeper then the only person stopping you is you.

dr2005 January 1st 2012 04:51 PM

As others have said, aiming to become a zookeeper is a worthwhile career goal to have and certainly not one you should have to go on the defensive about. From the sound of it you are passionate about it and entering it for the right reasons, and that should be enough to satisfy others. If they keep questioning it, point out to them that zoology is a recognised branch of biology and it's comparable with other scientific roles.

Best of luck. :)

msfsteven January 1st 2012 11:00 PM

Maybe you can be a leader of an organization for animals?
There are more jobs that you can do to fulfill your wants
of being around animals, taking care of them and helping them out.

Aside from that, you will probably make friends with other Zookeepers
who understand you. I think being a Zookeeper would be awesome. (:

Storyteller. January 2nd 2012 06:18 AM

You know, I'm actually aiming to become a zookeeper myself. Sure, it was what I wanted to be when I was eight, but that doesn't mean it's not a realistic, worthwhile career goal now. I'm planning to study biology or zoology when I start University, and I also plan not to listen to anyone who tells me that my chosen career isn't 'serious'. Just do what you want to do, do what makes you happy, and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. :)

CitizenErased January 4th 2012 03:59 PM

Heya Cheyenne,

I think becoming a Zookeeper is a great idea! And like everyone else has said, don't listen to anyone who tells you to do otherwise. Most people our age either don't have career ideas or they said they are going to become a world famous actor. Go for it, and if it doesn't work out, or you end up changing your mind after seeing another career route that you're passionate about then you can always change your mind later on :)

Just Peachy. January 5th 2012 01:53 PM

Hey there,

I think it's awesome that you want to be a zoo keeper! I think it's especially awesome that you're doing running start. I'm from Washington too! And truth be told, it's a great program. I was going to do it too. If zoo keeping is what you want to do as a career, then why not? I want to be a music teacher. Everyone told me I won't make money and that it's just not worth the time. But guess what? It's something I'm very passionate about and plan to pursue because it makes me happy. The people who mean most to me are the ones who support me. I would try and form a good support system for yourself. If you can't, then unfortunately.. you have to support yourself. Which is hard. But when you prove them all wrong and meet your goals, you'll feel so much better.

Just because you're not aspiring to be a doctor or a lawer or a teacher, doesn't make your career choice any less valid. Hold strong to your confidence. And follow through with your passion. People will come around eventually. :)

Secretcolor January 8th 2012 02:54 AM

My aunt used to be a zookeeper and she can tell you it is a worthwhile job!

As for experience, our zoo has a volunteer program. You should see if your local zoo does too. If so, it would be a great way to learn!

Keep going toward your dreams! :)

theinfatuatedpanda January 8th 2012 03:51 PM

That's a perfectly respectable career option if you ask me. You can also consider something like zoologist, by the way. :)
And it would be totally great if something you love doing becomes your profession.
Don't lose confidence/hope and best of luck! xx :)

WashoutThePain January 8th 2012 07:59 PM

I'm with everyone on this-- follow your dream and let no one stop you. I myself have a huge passion for "Zoo Tycoon" where I simply PRETEND to be a zookeeper and love it :p I can only imagine how much fun it would be to be with actual animals... it's not so simple either though, you gotta know your stuff! I think being a zookeeper could be a fantastic and satisfying job. Don't let others bring you down :)

brokensmilexx January 9th 2012 01:40 AM

If there's zoos in your area, apply to work there.
I worked at a zoo, though I was opening shops not handling animals lol, here you have to be at least 18 to work with animals. I just suggest that because then you get experience and can see what its like, plus learn things that'll probably come in handy while being a zoo keeper!
F*ck the people, they don't know shit hun (: its a legit job.
Hell, you'd probably make more money then half of the people not taking you seriously, or more lol.
<33

Evanesco January 15th 2012 05:28 PM

I just want to say that being a zoo keeper sounds absolutely awesome. And it is totally a legit career choice. Someone has to work in a zoo, or else there wouldn't be any zoos!