TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Rape and Abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/)
-   -   Triggering (Abuse): Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/t74451-head-international-monetary-fund-arrested-attempted-rape/)

FlyingTrue May 16th 2011 10:38 PM

Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, head of the international monetary fund, has been jailed for attacking and attempting to rape a hotel maid. He was arrested just moments before the departure of his flight back home to France. Now there are others coming forward saying he had violated them in the past too. He is now being held without bail.

Details may be triggering for some:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/16/...ing/index.html

Harmony♥ May 17th 2011 12:38 AM

Re: Head of International Monetary Fund Arrested For Attempted Rape

This is just crazy! I'm not exactly sure what his position really is, but for someone of 'power' (which I'm assuming is what he is) to be accused of rape, on continuous accusations, is quite ridiculous. I seen something similiar on the TV show Army Wives, and when I read this, I immediately thought of it.

I surely hope that he gets what comes to him if the accusations turn out to be true.

Heretic May 17th 2011 01:14 AM

Not really sure what makes him think he could have gotten away with this. He was in a huge building that was in a very public setting in the middle of a huge city.

I'm also not sure what the exact practices are for a foreigner committing a crime while legally in the U.S. I'd assume that he'll be put on trial in a NYC criminal courtroom.

Idiot.

Harmony♥ May 17th 2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperion (Post 643266)
Not really sure what makes him think he could have gotten away with this. He was in a huge building that was in a very public setting in the middle of a huge city.

I'm also not sure what the exact practices are for a foreigner committing a crime while legally in the U.S. I'd assume that he'll be put on trial in a NYC criminal courtroom.

Idiot.

I believe he would have to be taken back to France to be tried, but I could be wrong. I thought I heard something similar to this but I don't know how true it is.

dr2005 May 17th 2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShannonPants (Post 643272)

I believe he would have to be taken back to France to be tried, but I could be wrong. I thought I heard something similar to this but I don't know how true it is.

The jurisdiction of a court over an offence is determined by where the offence took place, not the nationality of the claimed offender. In this instance, as the offence took place in the Manhattan district of New York the case falls within the jurisdiction of the Manhattan Criminal Court and is heard under the terms of the New York Penal Code. The fact that he is French is irrelevant for these purposes as the offense did not occur in France or breach French law, and provided France has an extradition agreement in place with the USA (which I believe it does) they would be dutybound to extradite him.

Anyway, it's difficult to make any comment until the case has been concluded, but it's certainly a worrying set of allegations if nothing else.

Harmony♥ May 17th 2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr2005 (Post 643615)
The jurisdiction of a court over an offence is determined by where the offence took place, not the nationality of the claimed offender. In this instance, as the offence took place in the Manhattan district of New York the case falls within the jurisdiction of the Manhattan Criminal Court and is heard under the terms of the New York Penal Code. The fact that he is French is irrelevant for these purposes as the offense did not occur in France or breach French law, and provided France has an extradition agreement in place with the USA (which I believe it does) they would be dutybound to extradite him.

Anyway, it's difficult to make any comment until the case has been concluded, but it's certainly a worrying set of allegations if nothing else.

That's what I thought! I didn't know whether or not he would have to be sent back to France or not (And I didn't say that just because of his nationality, I really thought that was what was supposed to happen). Thank you for clearing that up! :)

Casey. May 19th 2011 04:14 AM

Unfortunately, they are having trouble proving that he actually raped the maid. Either way, it's hard to judge this situation without more facts and it going to trail. It's an interesting allegation at least.

dr2005 May 19th 2011 05:21 PM

To clarify an earlier comment I made, I have since discovered that France does not in fact have an extradition treaty with the USA and would therefore not be obliged to send him back to the USA for trial (which would explain why the prosecution objected strongly to bail and why it was denied). However, France would still be unable to exercise jurisdiction over the case so the remaining points still stand, and there is the question of political pressure to extradite him regardless as a "fugitive from justice" to consider as well.