TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   Possible OCD tendency? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t160559-possible-ocd-tendency/)

Everglow. October 27th 2020 03:37 PM

Possible OCD tendency?

I have thig problem that's been on and off for as long as I can remember in different forms. I was reading up online and found other people with the same issue and found out it might be a form of OCD. I basically constantly tense muscles. Right now it's my abdomen muscles and it's been going on for a little under a week where I feel like every few seconds I have to tense my muscles for no reason. It's becoming quite painful. In the past it's been my throat, and it usually leads to me developing a cough or sore throat. Around March, when lockdown started, it was breathing. I was taking really deep sharp breaths and couldn't stop, and the stomach tensions too.

I've tried just not doing these things but it doesn't work. It's like the longer I don't do it, the more my body feels like I have to. The more my muscles are screaming out to be tensed. For no reason at all. I just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on how to stop this. In the past it's fizzled out but I don't know why/how. I just know it hurts now and I could do with it going away for a bit.

DeletedAccount59 October 28th 2020 08:41 PM

Re: Possible OCD tendency?

It could be OCD related, or it could be an underlying issue... I suggest speaking to a doctor and be honest about your medical history. Beyond that, I really don't know what to say but perhaps try to be more mindful and record when this happens. If you do that, and go to a doctor, maybe it'll be easier to pin-point what the exact issue is.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Celyn November 1st 2020 12:38 PM

We aren't professionals so can't diagnose, but it could be related to OCD or other things such as tics. Though your best bet is to consult with your GP.

You mentioned that the breathing one started in the first lockdown and other ones have eventually fizzled out. I'm wondering if maybe stress has something to do with it? I also wonder if focusing on these behaviours may contribute towards them continuing and perhaps finding ways to distract yourself- becoming completely engaged in another activity might help you to 'forget' about them and as a result, they may eventually fizzle out.

Hope this helps a bit :hug:

Mallika November 1st 2020 02:12 PM

Hi Hollie,

As an OCD sufferer myself, I can say your tendency does seem OCD-like, though I haven't heard much about it being a common symptom. I have a hair pulling problem (trichotillomania) which is characteristic of OCD, whereby I just cannot control the urge to pull my hair, kind of like how you're unable to control yourself from tensing muscles.

Are you experiencing intrusive thoughts or feeling the need to engage in compulsive behaviours? If so, then it definitely is a clue that this tendency could be OCD-related. But then again, even if you aren't, OCD manifests in several different ways so your best bet would be to visit a therapist or a GP who can refer you to a psychologist. They would be able to give you a solid diagnosis and guide you further.

I hope things do get better for you! I'm undergoing therapy for my OCD - it's worth all the pain. Go and seek help, it's available :hug:

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!!