TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Possible OCD tendency? - October 27th 2020, 03:37 PM

I have thig problem that's been on and off for as long as I can remember in different forms. I was reading up online and found other people with the same issue and found out it might be a form of OCD. I basically constantly tense muscles. Right now it's my abdomen muscles and it's been going on for a little under a week where I feel like every few seconds I have to tense my muscles for no reason. It's becoming quite painful. In the past it's been my throat, and it usually leads to me developing a cough or sore throat. Around March, when lockdown started, it was breathing. I was taking really deep sharp breaths and couldn't stop, and the stomach tensions too.

I've tried just not doing these things but it doesn't work. It's like the longer I don't do it, the more my body feels like I have to. The more my muscles are screaming out to be tensed. For no reason at all. I just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on how to stop this. In the past it's fizzled out but I don't know why/how. I just know it hurts now and I could do with it going away for a bit.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Possible OCD tendency? - October 28th 2020, 08:41 PM

It could be OCD related, or it could be an underlying issue... I suggest speaking to a doctor and be honest about your medical history. Beyond that, I really don't know what to say but perhaps try to be more mindful and record when this happens. If you do that, and go to a doctor, maybe it'll be easier to pin-point what the exact issue is.

I wish you the best of luck.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Possible OCD tendency? - November 1st 2020, 12:38 PM

We aren't professionals so can't diagnose, but it could be related to OCD or other things such as tics. Though your best bet is to consult with your GP.

You mentioned that the breathing one started in the first lockdown and other ones have eventually fizzled out. I'm wondering if maybe stress has something to do with it? I also wonder if focusing on these behaviours may contribute towards them continuing and perhaps finding ways to distract yourself- becoming completely engaged in another activity might help you to 'forget' about them and as a result, they may eventually fizzle out.

Hope this helps a bit

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Possible OCD tendency? - November 1st 2020, 02:12 PM

Hi Hollie,

As an OCD sufferer myself, I can say your tendency does seem OCD-like, though I haven't heard much about it being a common symptom. I have a hair pulling problem (trichotillomania) which is characteristic of OCD, whereby I just cannot control the urge to pull my hair, kind of like how you're unable to control yourself from tensing muscles.

Are you experiencing intrusive thoughts or feeling the need to engage in compulsive behaviours? If so, then it definitely is a clue that this tendency could be OCD-related. But then again, even if you aren't, OCD manifests in several different ways so your best bet would be to visit a therapist or a GP who can refer you to a psychologist. They would be able to give you a solid diagnosis and guide you further.

I hope things do get better for you! I'm undergoing therapy for my OCD - it's worth all the pain. Go and seek help, it's available

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!!
Closed Thread