TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t135073-possible-lose-weight-healthy-way-eating-disorder-past/)

perturbed December 20th 2014 03:02 AM

Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past?

I have a lot of mental issues, and sadly one of them is eating disorders. I developed a combo of restricting and binging three years ago, and that has caused me to gain a bunch of weight. I am now overweight.

I need to know how / if it is possible to lose weight HEALTHILY after having and eating disorder. I haven't restricted/binged in a few months, and I'd like to keep it that way, but I also feel I need to lose the excess weight for my health (my family has a past of diabetes and high blood pressure). Does anyone have any tips?

Thereishope December 20th 2014 11:18 AM

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past?

I think it is very possible. Just remember to balance eating healthy and the right amount of exercise. As long as you don't go to far with either, you'll be fine. :)

Kindred December 20th 2014 11:27 AM

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past?

It's debatable in my opinion. I'd say after a few years of COMPLETE recovery, and even then it would be balancing a line. But, that's just my opinion. After a few months, although you're doing brilliantly and well done- maybe give it a while before considering this, although it sounds like you're doing it for the right reasons, so I won't discourage it completely. :)

DeletedAccount19 December 20th 2014 09:36 PM

It'll probably take a few years before you are back at a healthy weight, and are at a much less risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart problems. But don't let that discourage you. A few months is amazing, and you can definitely keep it up! :D

Coffee. December 20th 2014 10:36 PM

See a dietician or a nutritionist to get a real lifestyle plan that is a mixture of eating enough for your body (NOT restricting), eating healthy food with enough of each macronutrients along with getting plenty of vegetables, and exercise. If you're doing that, regardless of what your BMI says, you are healthy. :) It's all a process.

DeletedAccount63 December 21st 2014 01:45 AM

I think it's possible but I think it should be done way after recovery. A few months is good and I'm proud of you. But I think you should give it a year or two before you try loosing weight healthy because you can slip right back in to restricting. But after a year you should see a nutrisinest and they can help you.

Indigo December 23rd 2014 05:09 PM

After years of eating disorders my advise to being slim and healthy is ....

1) don't count calories ..... It's not about the calories so much as the food source.
2) eat as natural as possible lots of fruit and veg as much as you want of this !
3) don't eat diet products or drink diet drinks ..... In the long run these will make you fat I promise. There full of shit which our body will store as fat.
4) moderate excercise....do stuff you find fun ... But also remember you need enough fuel to be able to excercise
5) treat yourself
6 ) eat throughout the day to stop binges at night
7) lots of water and fresh juices and smoothies

It may take time but when your body will balance out x