TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
perturbed Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,309, Level: 10 Points: 5,309, Level: 10 Points: 5,309, Level: 10

Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 20th 2014, 03:02 AM

I have a lot of mental issues, and sadly one of them is eating disorders. I developed a combo of restricting and binging three years ago, and that has caused me to gain a bunch of weight. I am now overweight.

I need to know how / if it is possible to lose weight HEALTHILY after having and eating disorder. I haven't restricted/binged in a few months, and I'd like to keep it that way, but I also feel I need to lose the excess weight for my health (my family has a past of diabetes and high blood pressure). Does anyone have any tips?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Name: Michelle
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 20th 2014, 11:18 AM

I think it is very possible. Just remember to balance eating healthy and the right amount of exercise. As long as you don't go to far with either, you'll be fine.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 20th 2014, 11:27 AM

It's debatable in my opinion. I'd say after a few years of COMPLETE recovery, and even then it would be balancing a line. But, that's just my opinion. After a few months, although you're doing brilliantly and well done- maybe give it a while before considering this, although it sounds like you're doing it for the right reasons, so I won't discourage it completely.

Take as long as you need.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 20th 2014, 09:36 PM

It'll probably take a few years before you are back at a healthy weight, and are at a much less risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart problems. But don't let that discourage you. A few months is amazing, and you can definitely keep it up!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 20th 2014, 10:36 PM

See a dietician or a nutritionist to get a real lifestyle plan that is a mixture of eating enough for your body (NOT restricting), eating healthy food with enough of each macronutrients along with getting plenty of vegetables, and exercise. If you're doing that, regardless of what your BMI says, you are healthy. It's all a process.

something burning?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 21st 2014, 01:45 AM

I think it's possible but I think it should be done way after recovery. A few months is good and I'm proud of you. But I think you should give it a year or two before you try loosing weight healthy because you can slip right back in to restricting. But after a year you should see a nutrisinest and they can help you.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Indigo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,344, Level: 10 Points: 5,344, Level: 10 Points: 5,344, Level: 10

Re: Is it possible to lose weight the healthy way, with an Eating Disorder past? - December 23rd 2014, 05:09 PM

After years of eating disorders my advise to being slim and healthy is ....

1) don't count calories ..... It's not about the calories so much as the food source.
2) eat as natural as possible lots of fruit and veg as much as you want of this !
3) don't eat diet products or drink diet drinks ..... In the long run these will make you fat I promise. There full of shit which our body will store as fat.
4) moderate excercise....do stuff you find fun ... But also remember you need enough fuel to be able to excercise
5) treat yourself
6 ) eat throughout the day to stop binges at night
7) lots of water and fresh juices and smoothies

It may take time but when your body will balance out x
Closed Thread