TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Medication side effects, or something else? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t119116-medication-side-effects-something-else/)

Lokaylee May 9th 2013 11:43 PM

Medication side effects, or something else?

Okay, to be brief, I've had anxiety and depression issues since I was 13 and have always been on medications. I've been on countless combinations and dosages, but I recently got on a combination that seems to be working back in December when I was in the hospital.

I'm glad that things seem to be working, but the side effects are so, so bad, and I sometimes can't tell if they're side effects or separate issues. I know one thing is a side effect for sure, and that's weight gain. I've gained about [Edited] pounds ever since I got on this combination. The other major issue is that my menstrual cycle is all kinds of messed up. My last two or three periods have been very light and only lasted a couple of days. However, now my period is 21 days late.

The medications I'm on are as follows: escitalopram 10mg, clonazepam 0.25mg, risperidone 3mg, and olanzapine 2.5mg.

What is going on?

Yours Truly May 10th 2013 12:06 AM

Re: Medication side effects, or something else?

Your best bet would be to talk to your doctor.. Tell him/her all the side effects your having and see what they have to say..

I had some terrible side effects when I was on a combination of Effexor & Cymbalta.. But I know other people who dealt with those fine.

It's different for everyone, so no one can really tell you what's going on aside from your doctor.

I hope you figure it out though! The side effects can be a pain.. I know. /: I'm sure your doctor will be able to help you get it sorted out. <3

i_like_black May 10th 2013 12:14 AM

Olanzapine is well known for causing drastic weight-gain, as it makes people who are on it crave carbs. I gained a large amount of weight whilst I was on it (I was on 10mg for around 3 - 4 months, but it didn't work for me), because I just wanted to eat bread, and noodles, and pasta, all the time.

I think risperidone can also cause weight gain.

Personally, I believe that if you think you've found medications that work, then you need to talk with your team to address other lifestyle factors which may not have been issues before. For example, if you're getting lots of headaches (which happened to me when I first started my current medication, lithium), then instead of just accepting it as a side-effect, do things like drinking more water.

It also may be beneficial to talk to your team about possibly seeing a nutritionist, getting some help to be involved in some physical activity, and talking to a GP about your periods - because it could be the medication, and it could be something else - it's really important to check.

For me, now that I'm on a combination of medications that definitely works, it's just about addressing other issues - such as how I've remained overweight due to a relatively shocking diet, and have only lost weight when I've been so low that I haven't eaten at all. Also I'm now getting help to be involved in more exercise, and am doing some other things to address issues that aren't directly caused by my mood disorder.

Point I'm trying to make is, if you feel these medications are working, stick with them, and look at finding ways to manage the side-effects.
:)

Ghost On The Highway May 10th 2013 01:41 AM

No idea about the periods, but weight gain is a known side effect of many antidepressants. In my opinion it's tolerable. Before I was on effexor I was pretty ripped tbh, had a borderline six pack and lifted a ton. But I wanted to kill myself, locked myself in my room for days, didn't go to class, thought I was gay, had terrible insomnia, lost my job, etc. Since quitting liquor and being on a/d's, I've gained a lot of weight (mostly fat). But I've also had a lot more fun, enjoyed success at school and work, and even had sex a few times. I attribute most of the weight gain to overeating and increased physical tiredness/lethargy from the antidepressants and diabetes. If the weight gain is a problem, I'd suggest possibly using an herbal appetite suppressant like ephedra (if legal and not contraindicated) and brute "no-carb" willpower.

Lokaylee May 10th 2013 09:55 PM

(Sorry about the weight thing, I didn't know we weren't supposed to put figures like that on here!)

Thanks for all the help. I'm hoping I can get my weight and periods back to normal somehow, and soon.