TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lokaylee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaylee

Points: 7,276, Level: 12 Points: 7,276, Level: 12 Points: 7,276, Level: 12

Medication side effects, or something else? - May 9th 2013, 11:43 PM

Okay, to be brief, I've had anxiety and depression issues since I was 13 and have always been on medications. I've been on countless combinations and dosages, but I recently got on a combination that seems to be working back in December when I was in the hospital.

I'm glad that things seem to be working, but the side effects are so, so bad, and I sometimes can't tell if they're side effects or separate issues. I know one thing is a side effect for sure, and that's weight gain. I've gained about [Edited] pounds ever since I got on this combination. The other major issue is that my menstrual cycle is all kinds of messed up. My last two or three periods have been very light and only lasted a couple of days. However, now my period is 21 days late.

The medications I'm on are as follows: escitalopram 10mg, clonazepam 0.25mg, risperidone 3mg, and olanzapine 2.5mg.

What is going on?

Last edited by PSY; May 9th 2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Please do not post body weight/size figures on TeenHelp.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Points: 12,459, Level: 16 Points: 12,459, Level: 16 Points: 12,459, Level: 16

Re: Medication side effects, or something else? - May 10th 2013, 12:06 AM

Your best bet would be to talk to your doctor.. Tell him/her all the side effects your having and see what they have to say..

I had some terrible side effects when I was on a combination of Effexor & Cymbalta.. But I know other people who dealt with those fine.

It's different for everyone, so no one can really tell you what's going on aside from your doctor.

I hope you figure it out though! The side effects can be a pain.. I know. /: I'm sure your doctor will be able to help you get it sorted out. <3

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20

Re: Medication side effects, or something else? - May 10th 2013, 12:14 AM

Olanzapine is well known for causing drastic weight-gain, as it makes people who are on it crave carbs. I gained a large amount of weight whilst I was on it (I was on 10mg for around 3 - 4 months, but it didn't work for me), because I just wanted to eat bread, and noodles, and pasta, all the time.

I think risperidone can also cause weight gain.

Personally, I believe that if you think you've found medications that work, then you need to talk with your team to address other lifestyle factors which may not have been issues before. For example, if you're getting lots of headaches (which happened to me when I first started my current medication, lithium), then instead of just accepting it as a side-effect, do things like drinking more water.

It also may be beneficial to talk to your team about possibly seeing a nutritionist, getting some help to be involved in some physical activity, and talking to a GP about your periods - because it could be the medication, and it could be something else - it's really important to check.

For me, now that I'm on a combination of medications that definitely works, it's just about addressing other issues - such as how I've remained overweight due to a relatively shocking diet, and have only lost weight when I've been so low that I haven't eaten at all. Also I'm now getting help to be involved in more exercise, and am doing some other things to address issues that aren't directly caused by my mood disorder.

Point I'm trying to make is, if you feel these medications are working, stick with them, and look at finding ways to manage the side-effects.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Medication side effects, or something else? - May 10th 2013, 01:41 AM

No idea about the periods, but weight gain is a known side effect of many antidepressants. In my opinion it's tolerable. Before I was on effexor I was pretty ripped tbh, had a borderline six pack and lifted a ton. But I wanted to kill myself, locked myself in my room for days, didn't go to class, thought I was gay, had terrible insomnia, lost my job, etc. Since quitting liquor and being on a/d's, I've gained a lot of weight (mostly fat). But I've also had a lot more fun, enjoyed success at school and work, and even had sex a few times. I attribute most of the weight gain to overeating and increased physical tiredness/lethargy from the antidepressants and diabetes. If the weight gain is a problem, I'd suggest possibly using an herbal appetite suppressant like ephedra (if legal and not contraindicated) and brute "no-carb" willpower.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lokaylee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kaylee

Points: 7,276, Level: 12 Points: 7,276, Level: 12 Points: 7,276, Level: 12

Re: Medication side effects, or something else? - May 10th 2013, 09:55 PM

(Sorry about the weight thing, I didn't know we weren't supposed to put figures like that on here!)

Thanks for all the help. I'm hoping I can get my weight and periods back to normal somehow, and soon.
Closed Thread