TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Triggering: Questions on alcohol (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t32638-questions-alcohol/)

Doodle. December 22nd 2009 12:39 PM

Questions on alcohol

I admit I used to "binge drink" a lot with my friends when I was about 15-17, I would rarely get out-of-control-drunk, just tipsy. I liked the buzz it give me, it made me more social and happier. Lately if I drink I'm fine whilst I'm drunk but sobering up is the problem. It makes me really depressed and makes me cry for no reason. I got quite drunk a few months ago and I even self-harmed due to me sobering up, it just makes me feel like crap.

Why all of a suddon? alcohol never used to make me feel this way. This is exactly why I try and avoid alcohol like the plague now. Obviously me not drinking at all is better than me binge drinking like I used to I just want to know why this happening to me.

tk338 December 24th 2009 01:57 AM

Re: Questions on alcohol

I never used to understand why people said alcohol is a depressant, but there are times when you feel really awesome, and others when the worlds crashing down around you... I'm not sure why all of a sudden; although alcohol does affect adults a lot more than children, studies have proven that, I'm exhausted tonight but I'll have a look for them tomorrow... I'd say its all down too your age probably, you've matured, so's your body and alcohol just affects you in a different way :). Also have you changes what your drinking? Do you drink alone? Socially?

Doodle. December 25th 2009 04:24 PM

Nope, still with friends. I drink a lot less now because of this so when I do drink it effects me even more.

xxpaigiexx December 25th 2009 10:37 PM

Hey,
I think the fact you've practically stopped drinking and you rarely do it any more might contribute to it.
Maybe not drinking is a good thing, especially if it affects you badly.

.Brittany. December 26th 2009 12:51 AM

Hey Ceilidh,

It's said that alcohol is a depressant, when you are drunk, and having the 'high' you enjoy it, that when you start sobering up, your realize that your no longer having that 'high'

I'm the exact same way, as many people are.

Brittany

Gidig December 26th 2009 01:18 PM

When you do any drug, it sucks when you finally realize the feeling you have now isn't going to last forever. And then, especially with alcohol, you're not thinking rationally at all, and your emotions can become all over the place. Alcohol triggers depression for a lot of people, myself included. (Inbetween getting sick, which is a good way to keep me away from alcohol. :p )

Anyway, alcohol being a depressant does not mean it depresses, though it can. I've been depressed on just about anything though. A depressant usually means it slows down your ability to think rationally or react quickly. It pretty much makes you less aware of what's going on. It overall "slows the function of your central nervous system".

Staying away from alcohol is best. It makes you do stupid things, can make you depressed, and really can create an addiction that sucks. (Well, most addictions suck, but alcohol addiction is a bit worse than say... ice cream. :bleh: ) Make a point when you go out with your friends to be designated driver, or be designated to make sure everyone has a ride if you don't drive yourself. In this case you're not getting drunk for the sake of your friend's safety. It's helped me keep from drinking/doing drugs a lot.

Best of luck!
Maria.