TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Questions on alcohol - December 22nd 2009, 12:39 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I admit I used to "binge drink" a lot with my friends when I was about 15-17, I would rarely get out-of-control-drunk, just tipsy. I liked the buzz it give me, it made me more social and happier. Lately if I drink I'm fine whilst I'm drunk but sobering up is the problem. It makes me really depressed and makes me cry for no reason. I got quite drunk a few months ago and I even self-harmed due to me sobering up, it just makes me feel like crap.

Why all of a suddon? alcohol never used to make me feel this way. This is exactly why I try and avoid alcohol like the plague now. Obviously me not drinking at all is better than me binge drinking like I used to I just want to know why this happening to me.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 15,952, Level: 18 Points: 15,952, Level: 18 Points: 15,952, Level: 18

Re: Questions on alcohol - December 24th 2009, 01:57 AM

I never used to understand why people said alcohol is a depressant, but there are times when you feel really awesome, and others when the worlds crashing down around you... I'm not sure why all of a sudden; although alcohol does affect adults a lot more than children, studies have proven that, I'm exhausted tonight but I'll have a look for them tomorrow... I'd say its all down too your age probably, you've matured, so's your body and alcohol just affects you in a different way . Also have you changes what your drinking? Do you drink alone? Socially?

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Questions on alcohol - December 25th 2009, 04:24 PM

Nope, still with friends. I drink a lot less now because of this so when I do drink it effects me even more.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: Questions on alcohol - December 25th 2009, 10:37 PM

Hey,
I think the fact you've practically stopped drinking and you rarely do it any more might contribute to it.
Maybe not drinking is a good thing, especially if it affects you badly.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Questions on alcohol - December 26th 2009, 12:51 AM

Hey Ceilidh,

It's said that alcohol is a depressant, when you are drunk, and having the 'high' you enjoy it, that when you start sobering up, your realize that your no longer having that 'high'

I'm the exact same way, as many people are.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22 Points: 24,469, Level: 22

Re: Questions on alcohol - December 26th 2009, 01:18 PM

When you do any drug, it sucks when you finally realize the feeling you have now isn't going to last forever. And then, especially with alcohol, you're not thinking rationally at all, and your emotions can become all over the place. Alcohol triggers depression for a lot of people, myself included. (Inbetween getting sick, which is a good way to keep me away from alcohol. )

Anyway, alcohol being a depressant does not mean it depresses, though it can. I've been depressed on just about anything though. A depressant usually means it slows down your ability to think rationally or react quickly. It pretty much makes you less aware of what's going on. It overall "slows the function of your central nervous system".

Staying away from alcohol is best. It makes you do stupid things, can make you depressed, and really can create an addiction that sucks. (Well, most addictions suck, but alcohol addiction is a bit worse than say... ice cream. ) Make a point when you go out with your friends to be designated driver, or be designated to make sure everyone has a ride if you don't drive yourself. In this case you're not getting drunk for the sake of your friend's safety. It's helped me keep from drinking/doing drugs a lot.

Best of luck!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread