TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Parents (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t124171-parents/)

Sarabear September 30th 2013 01:08 AM

Parents

My parents and I don't get along ever since my sister moved out 2 years ago. So many things have changed. We fight all the time. I hang out in my room and they hang out in their room. I clean and clean and plus I have a job, school, and a horse on top of it all. I have been struggling and here recently they have told me I'm not good enough. I don't know what to do or say so I just sit there and kinda take the verbal abuse and let my emontions out later which by then im by myself and worse things can happen. Please tell me who or what I can turn too.

01Xzebra23 September 30th 2013 03:56 AM

Re: Parents

Hi there, Sara. :)

I'm sorry about things going on with your parents. Things seem pretty hard for you. It sounds like your parents took your sister moving out pretty hard, obviously. Maybe they're sad that you might move out later on, and this is how they're expressing it? Being verbally abused shouldn't be tolerated though, it's just so wrong to put someone down like that. Have you tried sitting them down and talking to them about this, like your feelings and asking them why they treat you this way? You can even write it down on paper and give to them if that'd make it easier.

Do you have a good relationship with your sister? Could you talk to her about things going on at home? If you have any friends, that'd be some good support during hard times. Secondly, something that helps me when things go wrong is writing my feelings down in a journal. Expressing myself through poetry, things like that. Or even a hobby to distract yourself, like games, reading or even taking up an instrument. Find some healthy escapes.

Hope I helped! Message me if you need someone to talk to. Hope things get better for you. Stay Strong. :)

Always * September 30th 2013 04:01 PM

Re: Parents

What was your parents relationship with your sister like? Did they have a falling out or anything like that? I ask because I am wondering if maybe 1. they used to direct this verbal and emotional abuse at your sister and since her moving out they've since had to change their attention onto you or 2. if they had a falling out with her maybe it was over something that would change their attitudes as parents and they might just be *naively* unaware of the damage that they're parenting is doing.

Regardless of why, your sister moving out seems to have served as some kind of trigger point. It is definitely unfortunate that they're behaving like this, especially since you say you have a lot on your plate and do it all. You could always try talking to them and letting them know that you work hard and you want to be proud of your accomplishments but they're constantly belittling you makes that hard. That might help. Otherwise you might want to try talking to another adult and seeing if they have any other ideas to help you deal with your parents.