TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sarabear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sara

Points: 6,276, Level: 11 Points: 6,276, Level: 11 Points: 6,276, Level: 11

Parents - September 30th 2013, 01:08 AM

My parents and I don't get along ever since my sister moved out 2 years ago. So many things have changed. We fight all the time. I hang out in my room and they hang out in their room. I clean and clean and plus I have a job, school, and a horse on top of it all. I have been struggling and here recently they have told me I'm not good enough. I don't know what to do or say so I just sit there and kinda take the verbal abuse and let my emontions out later which by then im by myself and worse things can happen. Please tell me who or what I can turn too.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
01Xzebra23 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 6,389, Level: 11 Points: 6,389, Level: 11 Points: 6,389, Level: 11

Re: Parents - September 30th 2013, 03:56 AM

Hi there, Sara.

I'm sorry about things going on with your parents. Things seem pretty hard for you. It sounds like your parents took your sister moving out pretty hard, obviously. Maybe they're sad that you might move out later on, and this is how they're expressing it? Being verbally abused shouldn't be tolerated though, it's just so wrong to put someone down like that. Have you tried sitting them down and talking to them about this, like your feelings and asking them why they treat you this way? You can even write it down on paper and give to them if that'd make it easier.

Do you have a good relationship with your sister? Could you talk to her about things going on at home? If you have any friends, that'd be some good support during hard times. Secondly, something that helps me when things go wrong is writing my feelings down in a journal. Expressing myself through poetry, things like that. Or even a hobby to distract yourself, like games, reading or even taking up an instrument. Find some healthy escapes.

Hope I helped! Message me if you need someone to talk to. Hope things get better for you. Stay Strong.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Parents - September 30th 2013, 04:01 PM

What was your parents relationship with your sister like? Did they have a falling out or anything like that? I ask because I am wondering if maybe 1. they used to direct this verbal and emotional abuse at your sister and since her moving out they've since had to change their attention onto you or 2. if they had a falling out with her maybe it was over something that would change their attitudes as parents and they might just be *naively* unaware of the damage that they're parenting is doing.

Regardless of why, your sister moving out seems to have served as some kind of trigger point. It is definitely unfortunate that they're behaving like this, especially since you say you have a lot on your plate and do it all. You could always try talking to them and letting them know that you work hard and you want to be proud of your accomplishments but they're constantly belittling you makes that hard. That might help. Otherwise you might want to try talking to another adult and seeing if they have any other ideas to help you deal with your parents.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread