TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Freshman year in college failing math class :( (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t116262-freshman-year-college-failing-math-class/)

StrigidaeofChrono February 22nd 2013 06:09 AM

Freshman year in college failing math class :(

I've been in college for three quarters now, summer, fall, and winter. Summer I only took one class, math 70, fall I took English 100 and math 80, and now I'm taking math 99, art, and psychology. This is my first 15 credit quarter and I am not working so theoretically I should be able to get pretty nice grades, how ever I am not.

I love my math 99 teacher very much, he is a super cool guy and is very smart. His class is extremely hard though and I am not going to pass. At all. I am already almost entirely past the point of no return. I feel so ashamed. I've done just fine in all of my other classes and have received pretty decent grades that will definitely get me into a university, so I'm not entirely lost, just in this math class. I honestly probably should have dropped the class but my teacher convinced me out of it and to keep trying.

The problem is now I am entirely swamped and I have no idea what is going on. He doesn't teach from the book either so its hard to keep caught up with him. I already have issues with math so I think he is just not the right teacher for me. :/ I think I will continue attending the class just to learn as much as I can for when I retake it next quarter, so the money doesn't completely go to waist. Anyways I feel like a total failure, I feel like most kids do way better then me even if they have to work part time.

DeletedAccount69 February 22nd 2013 07:55 AM

Re: Freshman year in college failing math class :(

Hey,

Firstly, stop thinking of yourself as a failure, okay? I think that there are going to be some classes that are going to be a bit more difficult that others and as you said math is already a subject you have issues with. I think when you go into a class that you already have difficulties with it can add intimidation to the mix. So, you are not a failure at all you are just struggling in a difficult class.

I believe that teachers do play an important role in courses and some teachers are going to be a great fit for you and some are not. When you find a teacher that doesn't fit for you it can impact your studies but, of course, you have to grit your teeth and do your best to make it through the class. I think you should be proud of yourself for continuing on in this class even though you are struggling. That is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Is there anyway that you can talk to your teacher and try and get your grade up? It might seem like you are at the point of no return but if you talk to your teacher maybe he will be able to help you get to a better place. Another thing to consider is a tutor; some colleges have a tutoring center and they offer free tutors on certain days. Maybe your college has this? If so it might help to get extra help and learn from another persons perspective?

In the end if you have tried you best and don't pass the class you have still accomplished a lot. If you have to repeat it do not be down on yourself. When you have tried your best that is really all that matters.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck and remember to not be so hard on yourself. :)