TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Points: 9,930, Level: 14 Points: 9,930, Level: 14 Points: 9,930, Level: 14

Freshman year in college failing math class :( - February 22nd 2013, 06:09 AM

I've been in college for three quarters now, summer, fall, and winter. Summer I only took one class, math 70, fall I took English 100 and math 80, and now I'm taking math 99, art, and psychology. This is my first 15 credit quarter and I am not working so theoretically I should be able to get pretty nice grades, how ever I am not.

I love my math 99 teacher very much, he is a super cool guy and is very smart. His class is extremely hard though and I am not going to pass. At all. I am already almost entirely past the point of no return. I feel so ashamed. I've done just fine in all of my other classes and have received pretty decent grades that will definitely get me into a university, so I'm not entirely lost, just in this math class. I honestly probably should have dropped the class but my teacher convinced me out of it and to keep trying.

The problem is now I am entirely swamped and I have no idea what is going on. He doesn't teach from the book either so its hard to keep caught up with him. I already have issues with math so I think he is just not the right teacher for me. :/ I think I will continue attending the class just to learn as much as I can for when I retake it next quarter, so the money doesn't completely go to waist. Anyways I feel like a total failure, I feel like most kids do way better then me even if they have to work part time.

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Freshman year in college failing math class :( - February 22nd 2013, 07:55 AM

Hey,

Firstly, stop thinking of yourself as a failure, okay? I think that there are going to be some classes that are going to be a bit more difficult that others and as you said math is already a subject you have issues with. I think when you go into a class that you already have difficulties with it can add intimidation to the mix. So, you are not a failure at all you are just struggling in a difficult class.

I believe that teachers do play an important role in courses and some teachers are going to be a great fit for you and some are not. When you find a teacher that doesn't fit for you it can impact your studies but, of course, you have to grit your teeth and do your best to make it through the class. I think you should be proud of yourself for continuing on in this class even though you are struggling. That is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Is there anyway that you can talk to your teacher and try and get your grade up? It might seem like you are at the point of no return but if you talk to your teacher maybe he will be able to help you get to a better place. Another thing to consider is a tutor; some colleges have a tutoring center and they offer free tutors on certain days. Maybe your college has this? If so it might help to get extra help and learn from another persons perspective?

In the end if you have tried you best and don't pass the class you have still accomplished a lot. If you have to repeat it do not be down on yourself. When you have tried your best that is really all that matters.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck and remember to not be so hard on yourself.
Closed Thread