TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Work and Parents (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t148509-work-parents/)

Resilient November 17th 2016 11:23 PM

Work and Parents

So I have a job as a security officer at a distribution center. I'm all alone in the entire warehouse at night, and it's scary. I have to deal with semi-truck drivers and those said truck drivers know I'm alone, what if I get one that comes in and threatens me? I know that the phone is right there with a speed dial for the local police department, but what do I do if I'm unable to call? I'm unarmed and have nothing at all for defense, not even a night stick, nor am I allowed anything.

My parents are giving me grief because I want to quit this job and find another one. They've been yelling at me and belittling me, saying I'm just being a coward and that I need to grow up. The pay isn't too terrible and I know if I find another part time job the pay will be less, especially for the area that I live in.

I feel trapped. I know I need to do what is best for me, but I'm still not entirely sure what that is, I mean, this job isn't a hard job besides dealing with the fear, but I just don't feel it's the right one for me. I am letting my parents get to me, which I know is not a good thing to do, but I just wish that for just once, they would be on my side.

DeletedAccount69 November 18th 2016 02:18 AM

Re: Work and Parents

If you feel your safety is at risk then you should quit. You could also talk to your manager about your concerns and see what they have to say. They might have run into this issue with other employees as well.

Another thing to consider is to keep working there until you find another job. That way you'll still be able to use that as current employment on a resume. If the interviewer asks why you are switching jobs or taking a pay cut you could say that you are looking for something that works better with your schedule.

Kate* November 18th 2016 02:56 AM

I agree with the person above. Also, you might want to consider taking a self-defense class. You'll learn ways to defend yourself without any equipment and it could come in handy at any time, not just for the job. But definitely find another job first before quitting if you decide you need to do so.

Lelola November 18th 2016 02:39 PM

Realistically, they probably wouldn't threaten you. They may yell but you have to keep in mind that they have to view it as a risk benefit situation. Losing their job by physically touching a security guard? Not worth it. The truckers probably make more money then you do.

NonIndigenous November 22nd 2016 03:02 PM

Do something that will make you feel safer. I doubt anything would actually happen, but I understand it can be stressful. Keep a recording device nearby maybe. Or a sharp pencil in your pocket. Whatever works.

Always * November 22nd 2016 04:05 PM

Update your resume and start applying for new jobs. Not only with that (ideally) placate any (reasonable) parent but it is also the responsible "adult" thing to do - if you didn't have your parents support, which I'm assuming you do because otherwise this isn't any of their business, then you'd have to rely on your savings OR find a new job before finding a new job. So I'd suggest operating in this way and quit your job as soon as you can if it makes you feel unsafe. This way you get what you what in the most responsible way possible.