TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Work and Parents - November 17th 2016, 11:23 PM

So I have a job as a security officer at a distribution center. I'm all alone in the entire warehouse at night, and it's scary. I have to deal with semi-truck drivers and those said truck drivers know I'm alone, what if I get one that comes in and threatens me? I know that the phone is right there with a speed dial for the local police department, but what do I do if I'm unable to call? I'm unarmed and have nothing at all for defense, not even a night stick, nor am I allowed anything.

My parents are giving me grief because I want to quit this job and find another one. They've been yelling at me and belittling me, saying I'm just being a coward and that I need to grow up. The pay isn't too terrible and I know if I find another part time job the pay will be less, especially for the area that I live in.

I feel trapped. I know I need to do what is best for me, but I'm still not entirely sure what that is, I mean, this job isn't a hard job besides dealing with the fear, but I just don't feel it's the right one for me. I am letting my parents get to me, which I know is not a good thing to do, but I just wish that for just once, they would be on my side.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Work and Parents - November 18th 2016, 02:18 AM

If you feel your safety is at risk then you should quit. You could also talk to your manager about your concerns and see what they have to say. They might have run into this issue with other employees as well.

Another thing to consider is to keep working there until you find another job. That way you'll still be able to use that as current employment on a resume. If the interviewer asks why you are switching jobs or taking a pay cut you could say that you are looking for something that works better with your schedule.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: Work and Parents - November 18th 2016, 02:56 AM

I agree with the person above. Also, you might want to consider taking a self-defense class. You'll learn ways to defend yourself without any equipment and it could come in handy at any time, not just for the job. But definitely find another job first before quitting if you decide you need to do so.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Work and Parents - November 18th 2016, 02:39 PM

Realistically, they probably wouldn't threaten you. They may yell but you have to keep in mind that they have to view it as a risk benefit situation. Losing their job by physically touching a security guard? Not worth it. The truckers probably make more money then you do.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Work and Parents - November 22nd 2016, 03:02 PM

Do something that will make you feel safer. I doubt anything would actually happen, but I understand it can be stressful. Keep a recording device nearby maybe. Or a sharp pencil in your pocket. Whatever works.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Work and Parents - November 22nd 2016, 04:05 PM

Update your resume and start applying for new jobs. Not only with that (ideally) placate any (reasonable) parent but it is also the responsible "adult" thing to do - if you didn't have your parents support, which I'm assuming you do because otherwise this isn't any of their business, then you'd have to rely on your savings OR find a new job before finding a new job. So I'd suggest operating in this way and quit your job as soon as you can if it makes you feel unsafe. This way you get what you what in the most responsible way possible.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread