TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/)
-   -   Organised religion? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/t122262-organised-religion/)

Ceinwyn August 4th 2013 03:44 PM

Organised religion?

Here's a question I think about a lot. Why do we always need to organise a religion?

For example, in Catholicism you have priests, cardinals, the Pope, but why? I personally hate the idea of someone telling me how and when to practice my faith, and I would never do so to someone else, I honestly don't see the point.

If religion is personal to you as an individual (which nearly all religions state in some way) then how come we aren't allowed to practice them as individuals, or left to make our own interpretations of the religion?

Anyway, what do you guys think? and sorry if this came across as preachy, it's just that this is a question I can get quite worked up about XD

Daivia August 4th 2013 04:10 PM

Re: Organised religion?

Because religion was created by people to control others. I can't control others without a nice hierarchy with me at the top and you at the bottom, plus claiming I have a deity on my side does wonders for motivation.

Lizzie August 4th 2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yggdrasil (Post 1053788)
If religion is personal to you as an individual (which nearly all religions state in some way) then how come we aren't allowed to practice them as individuals, or left to make our own interpretations of the religion?

You are always allowed to have your own thoughts, feelings, interpretations and beliefs as long as you are not hurting yourself or others in the process. And never let anyone try to tell you otherwise. While some may frown on straying from the culturally acceptable “norm” of what is a religion, there are just as many people who have their own beliefs who worship in their own way. Many people consider themselves to be “spiritual not religious” as a way to describe themselves as having their own set of beliefs that do not conform to anyone particular religion.

There are people out there that enjoy and crave that sense of religious structure. Which is also OK. Every person is different. As long as people are free to practice religion as they please, I don’t have a problem with organized religion or unorganized spiritual beliefs.

Ghost On The Highway August 5th 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daivia (Post 1053792)
Because religion was created by people to control others. I can't control others without a nice hierarchy with me at the top and you at the bottom, plus claiming I have a deity on my side does wonders for motivation.

For the most part I agree with this in the case of the major monotheistic religions (Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, Judaism, etc.) An all-powerful God with judgmental capacity corresponds pretty well with a divinely-appointed Earthly monarch or theistic leader. Religion and spirituality can exist without this structure, however. By and large, though, I think a community of somewhat like-minded individuals is necessary for the development of a religious school of thought.

NonIndigenous August 7th 2013 09:09 PM

Haha. First reply got it spot on almost. Although I wouldn't say that religion was created at first just to control people. I'd say it was born out of some individuals' need to look up to some "ideal" role model, like a God, or Jesus Christ.

Then you got the opportunistic ones who figured they could use this to their advantage, by setting up a hierarchy and placing themselves at the top of it. At first, this was probably very small-scale. Then it evolved across civilizations into what it is today.

Power of the Church has diminished. But there was a time when it was the most powerful organisation on Earth.

ThisWillDestroyYou August 8th 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yggdrasil (Post 1053788)
Here's a question I think about a lot. Why do we always need to organise a religion?

For example, in Catholicism you have priests, cardinals, the Pope, but why? I personally hate the idea of someone telling me how and when to practice my faith, and I would never do so to someone else, I honestly don't see the point.

Anyway, what do you guys think? and sorry if this came across as preachy, it's just that this is a question I can get quite worked up about XD

It doesn't always have to be organized. That's why you have Protestants, Organic Churches, Quakers, etc. People want to have a sense of belonging that sums up their beliefs which is why you have denominations. However, the people of Catholicism believe that Catholicism is true, so that is THEIR personal belief. IF you reject their belief and don't want the organized aspect, then go ahead. No one is stopping you. But if you want to reform others to you're way of thinking... well, then, what does that make you? Perhaps another individual, but then you've organized a separate group of beliefs. Theoretically there's no escaping it. But in practice, nothing is really that organized.