TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Points: 9,794, Level: 14 Points: 9,794, Level: 14 Points: 9,794, Level: 14

Organised religion? - August 4th 2013, 03:44 PM

Here's a question I think about a lot. Why do we always need to organise a religion?

For example, in Catholicism you have priests, cardinals, the Pope, but why? I personally hate the idea of someone telling me how and when to practice my faith, and I would never do so to someone else, I honestly don't see the point.

If religion is personal to you as an individual (which nearly all religions state in some way) then how come we aren't allowed to practice them as individuals, or left to make our own interpretations of the religion?

Anyway, what do you guys think? and sorry if this came across as preachy, it's just that this is a question I can get quite worked up about

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16

Re: Organised religion? - August 4th 2013, 04:10 PM

Because religion was created by people to control others. I can't control others without a nice hierarchy with me at the top and you at the bottom, plus claiming I have a deity on my side does wonders for motivation.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Organised religion? - August 4th 2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
If religion is personal to you as an individual (which nearly all religions state in some way) then how come we aren't allowed to practice them as individuals, or left to make our own interpretations of the religion?
You are always allowed to have your own thoughts, feelings, interpretations and beliefs as long as you are not hurting yourself or others in the process. And never let anyone try to tell you otherwise. While some may frown on straying from the culturally acceptable “norm” of what is a religion, there are just as many people who have their own beliefs who worship in their own way. Many people consider themselves to be “spiritual not religious” as a way to describe themselves as having their own set of beliefs that do not conform to anyone particular religion.

There are people out there that enjoy and crave that sense of religious structure. Which is also OK. Every person is different. As long as people are free to practice religion as they please, I don’t have a problem with organized religion or unorganized spiritual beliefs.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Organised religion? - August 5th 2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daivia View Post
Because religion was created by people to control others. I can't control others without a nice hierarchy with me at the top and you at the bottom, plus claiming I have a deity on my side does wonders for motivation.
For the most part I agree with this in the case of the major monotheistic religions (Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, Judaism, etc.) An all-powerful God with judgmental capacity corresponds pretty well with a divinely-appointed Earthly monarch or theistic leader. Religion and spirituality can exist without this structure, however. By and large, though, I think a community of somewhat like-minded individuals is necessary for the development of a religious school of thought.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Organised religion? - August 7th 2013, 09:09 PM

Haha. First reply got it spot on almost. Although I wouldn't say that religion was created at first just to control people. I'd say it was born out of some individuals' need to look up to some "ideal" role model, like a God, or Jesus Christ.

Then you got the opportunistic ones who figured they could use this to their advantage, by setting up a hierarchy and placing themselves at the top of it. At first, this was probably very small-scale. Then it evolved across civilizations into what it is today.

Power of the Church has diminished. But there was a time when it was the most powerful organisation on Earth.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Organised religion? - August 8th 2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
Here's a question I think about a lot. Why do we always need to organise a religion?

For example, in Catholicism you have priests, cardinals, the Pope, but why? I personally hate the idea of someone telling me how and when to practice my faith, and I would never do so to someone else, I honestly don't see the point.

Anyway, what do you guys think? and sorry if this came across as preachy, it's just that this is a question I can get quite worked up about
It doesn't always have to be organized. That's why you have Protestants, Organic Churches, Quakers, etc. People want to have a sense of belonging that sums up their beliefs which is why you have denominations. However, the people of Catholicism believe that Catholicism is true, so that is THEIR personal belief. IF you reject their belief and don't want the organized aspect, then go ahead. No one is stopping you. But if you want to reform others to you're way of thinking... well, then, what does that make you? Perhaps another individual, but then you've organized a separate group of beliefs. Theoretically there's no escaping it. But in practice, nothing is really that organized.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
Closed Thread