(#6 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Organised religion? - August 8th 2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
Here's a question I think about a lot. Why do we always need to organise a religion?

For example, in Catholicism you have priests, cardinals, the Pope, but why? I personally hate the idea of someone telling me how and when to practice my faith, and I would never do so to someone else, I honestly don't see the point.

If religion is personal to you as an individual (which nearly all religions state in some way) then how come we aren't allowed to practice them as individuals, or left to make our own interpretations of the religion?

Anyway, what do you guys think? and sorry if this came across as preachy, it's just that this is a question I can get quite worked up about
It doesn't always have to be organized. That's why you have Protestants, Organic Churches, Quakers, etc. People want to have a sense of belonging that sums up their beliefs which is why you have denominations. However, the people of Catholicism believe that Catholicism is true, so that is THEIR personal belief. IF you reject their belief and don't want the organized aspect, then go ahead. No one is stopping you. But if you want to reform others to you're way of thinking... well, then, what does that make you? Perhaps another individual, but then you've organized a separate group of beliefs. Theoretically there's no escaping it. But in practice, nothing is really that organized.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan