TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t59403-how-long-did-take-your-family-get-over-their-disappointment-you-were-pregnant/)

off to a new life November 10th 2010 02:38 AM

How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant?

I understand that my parents were disappointed that I got pregnant young, but I'm 7 months along now and I thought they'd be over it by now. My situation isn't even as bad as lots of other people. I was already married before I got pregnant and my husband is supporting us financially. Sure, we don't have a lot of extra money and we haven't finished college, but we have everything we need. I'm trying to be happy and excited, as there is nothing I have ever wanted more than to be a mother, but my mom and step-dad still bring up how sad they are that I'm having a baby and my dad and step-mom don't even want to talk about the baby. It's making me feel so sad and ashamed. Surely, there is a point when I should be allowed to be happy and enjoy my pregnancy?

How long did it take your family to come around? Is there anything you did to help them accept it?

LucyLouWho November 10th 2010 02:57 AM

Re: How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant?

If you're content and comfortable with how your life is going, which honestly doesn't sound bad at all, concentrate on being happy and getting everything ready for your baby... It sounds like you're doing a good job to me. Many people have children while in college or before college and still manage to finish their education.

I'm sure they will come around. It might actually take them seeing the baby in order to be happy about this.

My situation probably won't help much because my family got over it by the time I got married (which was when I was 6 weeks pregnant) and even more so after they saw my first ultrasounds (10 weeks). And now he's a year old and they couldn't possibly love him more.

Hang in there and just do what's best for your baby and be happy. :)
I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

PM me if you ever need anything. =]

Jocelyn. November 10th 2010 06:41 PM

Re: How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant?

Do they tell you why the act so disappointed? Seven months seems so excessive to me for them to still be acting that way. Especially since your and adult, and you were even married when it happened. I'm sorry you have to deal with them adding extra unneeded stress to your situation when they should be supporting you and doing what they can to help. Try your best to enjoy your pregnancy and not let them bring you down. Like the PP said, maybe it will take them actually seeing the baby to bring them around... but they'll get there. Good luck.

iHEAVENn November 10th 2010 08:03 PM

Maybe once the baby is born they'll get over it?
Honestly, I would just tell them if they aren't going to be supportive then they don't need to be in your life or the childs life right now.

My parents were a little shocked when I got pregnant but they got over it and supported me during the pregnancy. I let my mom pick out baby stuff, and let her help with the baby shower. She wanted to be there for the labor, but I told her to stay at work cause I had to be induced and nothing exciting was happening. We eventually called her before it was time to start pushing and she was able to watch her grand son be born. (Which I think helped a lot)
You can always try talking to them and see if they'll cool off now and realize that the baby is coming soon no matter how they feel about it.