TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15 Points: 11,113, Level: 15

How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant? - November 10th 2010, 02:38 AM

I understand that my parents were disappointed that I got pregnant young, but I'm 7 months along now and I thought they'd be over it by now. My situation isn't even as bad as lots of other people. I was already married before I got pregnant and my husband is supporting us financially. Sure, we don't have a lot of extra money and we haven't finished college, but we have everything we need. I'm trying to be happy and excited, as there is nothing I have ever wanted more than to be a mother, but my mom and step-dad still bring up how sad they are that I'm having a baby and my dad and step-mom don't even want to talk about the baby. It's making me feel so sad and ashamed. Surely, there is a point when I should be allowed to be happy and enjoy my pregnancy?

How long did it take your family to come around? Is there anything you did to help them accept it?

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

Re: How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant? - November 10th 2010, 02:57 AM

If you're content and comfortable with how your life is going, which honestly doesn't sound bad at all, concentrate on being happy and getting everything ready for your baby... It sounds like you're doing a good job to me. Many people have children while in college or before college and still manage to finish their education.

I'm sure they will come around. It might actually take them seeing the baby in order to be happy about this.

My situation probably won't help much because my family got over it by the time I got married (which was when I was 6 weeks pregnant) and even more so after they saw my first ultrasounds (10 weeks). And now he's a year old and they couldn't possibly love him more.

Hang in there and just do what's best for your baby and be happy.
I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

PM me if you ever need anything. =]

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18

Re: How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant? - November 10th 2010, 06:41 PM

Do they tell you why the act so disappointed? Seven months seems so excessive to me for them to still be acting that way. Especially since your and adult, and you were even married when it happened. I'm sorry you have to deal with them adding extra unneeded stress to your situation when they should be supporting you and doing what they can to help. Try your best to enjoy your pregnancy and not let them bring you down. Like the PP said, maybe it will take them actually seeing the baby to bring them around... but they'll get there. Good luck.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Points: 14,744, Level: 17 Points: 14,744, Level: 17 Points: 14,744, Level: 17

Re: How long did it take your family to get over their disappointment that you were pregnant? - November 10th 2010, 08:03 PM

Maybe once the baby is born they'll get over it?
Honestly, I would just tell them if they aren't going to be supportive then they don't need to be in your life or the childs life right now.

My parents were a little shocked when I got pregnant but they got over it and supported me during the pregnancy. I let my mom pick out baby stuff, and let her help with the baby shower. She wanted to be there for the labor, but I told her to stay at work cause I had to be induced and nothing exciting was happening. We eventually called her before it was time to start pushing and she was able to watch her grand son be born. (Which I think helped a lot)
You can always try talking to them and see if they'll cool off now and realize that the baby is coming soon no matter how they feel about it.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

Closed Thread