TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   Aromantic/Asexual and Pride (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t163011-aromantic-asexual-pride/)

Everglow. June 21st 2022 09:20 PM

Aromantic/Asexual and Pride

So I've been 'out' as aromantic and asexual to my friends for a few years now but I'm not sure where I fall with the opinion of whether aromanticism and asexuality are things I am allowed to celebrate at pride? I am planning on attending a pride parade this year (hopefully), and I guess I don't know how 'visible' I want to be as an aro/ace person because I know that the oppression isn't the same as it is for other identities. I don't want to steal an event made for other people if that makes sense.

Just to note, this definitely isn't be giving an opinion that pride isn't for some groups of people. I'm uncertain because of things I've read online. I feel like everyone has the right to be proud regardless of their identities. This is just me learning more and trying to understand my own pride in my identity and how that fits into the politics of pride.

Sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question!! :nosweat:

DeletedAccount81 June 21st 2022 10:21 PM

Re: Aromantic/Asexual and Pride

For the record — Asexuals and Aromantics are oppressed. I'm always being asked who I would date or if I think someone is hot/sexy, even though I've never made the observation towards anyone of any gender identity in the past. I'm always asked "do you think he's," — it's always he — "is hot?" "Would you date him?" "Aw, c'mon, why not?" That, believe it or not, is a form of oppression!

I say you do what you want to show your pride towards your identity and orientation! I personally try to include the four colors in my wardrobe every day; not just in June. I notice it's easily accommodate in the winter months because I can layer up and get away with it.

Ennui. June 22nd 2022 12:18 AM

Not a ridiculous question!
We still get some forms of oppression and people trying to change our minds or “convert us,” and plus we’re gatekept a lot of the time.
I’m aro/ace and have seen asexuals on Facebook posting Pride makeup and the outfits they’ve worn to events. Based on their experiences they seemed to have a good time and didn’t seem to have anyone tell them that they shouldn’t be there or didn’t belong. I think you should be as visually expressive as you see fit. Be proud, be yourself!

Everglow. June 24th 2022 09:00 PM

Thank you both for replying - I was hoping you guys would so I appreciate hearing your views. I agree and it's nice to be reassured. I've decided to go rainbow but wear my ace flag badge which is usually on my jacket.

Ethereal - I completely agree that we also experience oppression and I hope I didn't invalidate that experience for you. I've had comments made from people too ("you'll change your mind when all of your friends are married and you need companionship" for example), and I definitely get that this is a form of oppression. What I meant was, my legal rights haven't been taken away, but I understand that oppression stretches beyond this so I'm sorry if I worded that wrongly! Thank you for your reply! :hug: