TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Aromantic/Asexual and Pride - June 21st 2022, 09:20 PM

So I've been 'out' as aromantic and asexual to my friends for a few years now but I'm not sure where I fall with the opinion of whether aromanticism and asexuality are things I am allowed to celebrate at pride? I am planning on attending a pride parade this year (hopefully), and I guess I don't know how 'visible' I want to be as an aro/ace person because I know that the oppression isn't the same as it is for other identities. I don't want to steal an event made for other people if that makes sense.

Just to note, this definitely isn't be giving an opinion that pride isn't for some groups of people. I'm uncertain because of things I've read online. I feel like everyone has the right to be proud regardless of their identities. This is just me learning more and trying to understand my own pride in my identity and how that fits into the politics of pride.

Sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question!!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Aromantic/Asexual and Pride - June 21st 2022, 10:21 PM

For the record — Asexuals and Aromantics are oppressed. I'm always being asked who I would date or if I think someone is hot/sexy, even though I've never made the observation towards anyone of any gender identity in the past. I'm always asked "do you think he's," — it's always he — "is hot?" "Would you date him?" "Aw, c'mon, why not?" That, believe it or not, is a form of oppression!

I say you do what you want to show your pride towards your identity and orientation! I personally try to include the four colors in my wardrobe every day; not just in June. I notice it's easily accommodate in the winter months because I can layer up and get away with it.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Aromantic/Asexual and Pride - June 22nd 2022, 12:18 AM

Not a ridiculous question!
We still get some forms of oppression and people trying to change our minds or “convert us,” and plus we’re gatekept a lot of the time.
I’m aro/ace and have seen asexuals on Facebook posting Pride makeup and the outfits they’ve worn to events. Based on their experiences they seemed to have a good time and didn’t seem to have anyone tell them that they shouldn’t be there or didn’t belong. I think you should be as visually expressive as you see fit. Be proud, be yourself!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Aromantic/Asexual and Pride - June 24th 2022, 09:00 PM

Thank you both for replying - I was hoping you guys would so I appreciate hearing your views. I agree and it's nice to be reassured. I've decided to go rainbow but wear my ace flag badge which is usually on my jacket.

Ethereal - I completely agree that we also experience oppression and I hope I didn't invalidate that experience for you. I've had comments made from people too ("you'll change your mind when all of your friends are married and you need companionship" for example), and I definitely get that this is a form of oppression. What I meant was, my legal rights haven't been taken away, but I understand that oppression stretches beyond this so I'm sorry if I worded that wrongly! Thank you for your reply!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread