TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t142747-boyfriend-got-me-expensive-gift-christmas-help/)

Pandemonium.. December 26th 2015 02:07 PM

Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help!

So me and my boyfriend have only been going out for 3 weeks. As Christmas was coming up, I thought a cheap-ish present would be appropriate (if this helps, I got him a box full of his favourite food, a jokey DVD and a £15 Netflix giftcard). I was fairly happy with this because as I said, we have only been together for a few weeks.
I had no idea what he was getting me, but as Christmas had already come and gone and we wont see each other for a couple days, he said he wanted to tell me what he got me. It turns out that he got me jewellery from Pandora.
I feel awful for my gift now as it is nowhere near as expensive as what he got me! I know that it's the thought that counts but I still can't help feeling bad. I didn't tell him what I bought him for Christmas as I said it was a "surprise". Should I get him something else to go with his Christmas present or should I leave it? Is there anything else I can do at all?! I have no idea what to do :?
Thank you for any help!

Skyline December 26th 2015 04:14 PM

Re: Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help!

Hi there :) It's normal for you to feel this way, but you need to remember that despite this feeling of inadequacy, your partner will just be happy that he was able to please you, and he more than likely won't mind that your present to him was cheaper.
I think you should just tell him briefly how you feel -- something along the lines of "I love your present to me, it's perfect, blah blah blah, and I feel rubbish for having given you *this*" He will almost certainly be flattered and say that he really doesn't mind, and that you shouldn't worry.

Good luck! :)

luckiicloverxx December 27th 2015 07:58 AM

I agree with Skye. I don't think he'd mind that much, honestly, and the two of you have only been together for three weeks anyway. Just make sure to let him know how you feel so that, in case he does mind, he will feel happy instead that you cared enough to think that way.

Hope this helped and if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me!

Kyra xx

Always * December 27th 2015 10:39 PM

Don't buy him anything else, simple as that. It wouldn't be right; you got him something that was thoughtful and, presumably, within your price range. I am assuming that he also did the same. It's totally ok if your price ranges are different and you shouldn't feel pressured to have to do more than you already have (although I totally understand that feeling). I am sure he'll love your gift. If he cares about the dollar amount then maybe you should take a good hard look at his values and see if maybe their out of whack with your own in a way that'll be problem.

xxpaigiexx December 28th 2015 12:25 AM

Hey there,

I think you got something you knew your boyfriend would really like, something thoughtful. It really is the thought that counts, I think what you got him is absolutely fine. It's early days so I wouldn't advise spending loads of money on him. I'm sure he will love what you got for him!

Paige