TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pandemonium.. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,491, Level: 9 Points: 4,491, Level: 9 Points: 4,491, Level: 9

Unhappy Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help! - December 26th 2015, 02:07 PM

So me and my boyfriend have only been going out for 3 weeks. As Christmas was coming up, I thought a cheap-ish present would be appropriate (if this helps, I got him a box full of his favourite food, a jokey DVD and a £15 Netflix giftcard). I was fairly happy with this because as I said, we have only been together for a few weeks.
I had no idea what he was getting me, but as Christmas had already come and gone and we wont see each other for a couple days, he said he wanted to tell me what he got me. It turns out that he got me jewellery from Pandora.
I feel awful for my gift now as it is nowhere near as expensive as what he got me! I know that it's the thought that counts but I still can't help feeling bad. I didn't tell him what I bought him for Christmas as I said it was a "surprise". Should I get him something else to go with his Christmas present or should I leave it? Is there anything else I can do at all?! I have no idea what to do
Thank you for any help!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15

Re: Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help! - December 26th 2015, 04:14 PM

Hi there It's normal for you to feel this way, but you need to remember that despite this feeling of inadequacy, your partner will just be happy that he was able to please you, and he more than likely won't mind that your present to him was cheaper.
I think you should just tell him briefly how you feel -- something along the lines of "I love your present to me, it's perfect, blah blah blah, and I feel rubbish for having given you *this*" He will almost certainly be flattered and say that he really doesn't mind, and that you shouldn't worry.

Good luck!

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13

Re: Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help! - December 27th 2015, 07:58 AM

I agree with Skye. I don't think he'd mind that much, honestly, and the two of you have only been together for three weeks anyway. Just make sure to let him know how you feel so that, in case he does mind, he will feel happy instead that you cared enough to think that way.

Hope this helped and if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me!

Kyra xx
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help! - December 27th 2015, 10:39 PM

Don't buy him anything else, simple as that. It wouldn't be right; you got him something that was thoughtful and, presumably, within your price range. I am assuming that he also did the same. It's totally ok if your price ranges are different and you shouldn't feel pressured to have to do more than you already have (although I totally understand that feeling). I am sure he'll love your gift. If he cares about the dollar amount then maybe you should take a good hard look at his values and see if maybe their out of whack with your own in a way that'll be problem.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: Boyfriend got me an expensive gift for Christmas...help! - December 28th 2015, 12:25 AM

Hey there,

I think you got something you knew your boyfriend would really like, something thoughtful. It really is the thought that counts, I think what you got him is absolutely fine. It's early days so I wouldn't advise spending loads of money on him. I'm sure he will love what you got for him!

Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
Closed Thread