TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t145774-what-your-thoughts-hs-college-relationships/)

sektor June 8th 2016 09:10 PM

What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships?

To be more specific, I don't mean ones with large age gaps, just like ones that are one year apart, etc 17/18 and I mean ones that started in hs. I wonder as I know certain people who are in these situations. So how do you feel about these relationships?

Ennui. June 9th 2016 03:40 AM

Re: What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships?

I think that they can work out if both parties are involved and communicate about it. Of course relationships like this are not for everyone, but they can work out. I think the thing about it is that both people have to want it. Both people have to know what they expect out of the relationships and what boundaries they want to set. They have to talk about what they want to happen with the relationship and what they like and don't like. And obviously they have to be willing to make the effort to keep the relationship going strong.

JollyRancher. June 9th 2016 04:53 AM

I agree with Dez. But I feel like it also take a level of maturity that most people don't seem to have. To make a relationship work you have be able to handle having a relationship in the first place.
Most people dont really want that. For most they only look for short term things, like flings. If you want it to work out, you have to really get to know the other person and that person's personality, hobbies, dislikes, and interests.

sektor June 9th 2016 08:16 AM

Do you think they are strange due to one party being in HS and the other being college despite the small age difference?

Clarent June 9th 2016 05:53 PM

No. They are only as weird as you want to make them :P

Always * June 9th 2016 06:27 PM

Most high school relationships won't survive. Like it's going really well if you date a guy / girl / human longer than 3 months. But some last for years - 2 friends of mine (4 total) even married their high school sweetheart. I just think that people in high school take a slightly different approach to dating than adults and it can be harder to bring the same level of maturity to the table just because of where you're st in life and that's ok. So yes relationships in high school are ok.

As for high school to college, that depends. If the relationship began before the older person started college, it's ok. If not, it's not that it's ethically wrong if it's a small age gap but it's also a big maturity gap. Most people I know grew up a ton after their first year of university, but I also know tons of people who just didn't and stayed much more immature than myself all through college. So I could easily see one person going off to college and just wanting something different than what their still-in-high-school person wants.